Any Plans for OpenGL support

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
DoonutHateMe
Prole

Any Plans for OpenGL support

Post by DoonutHateMe »

I'm just wondering if LÖVE is going to support lower OpenGL in the next update (or probably in other update) cause i really need it (for a game i'm trying to play) cause i have Intel 945G (Intel) 1.4.0 and i can't afford better graphic driver...

I know that this would be really hard to make/really buggy but i just wanted to know if it will forever stay like this (i hope not).

I can't really speak english that well... and please don't be rude to me
slime
Solid Snayke

Re: Any Plans for OpenGL support

Post by slime »

There are no plans for that. LOVE 0.9.2 works on those GPUs (minus some features like shaders and canvases, since the drivers / hardware doesn't support those), so you can use 0.9.2 if you still want to use LOVE.
DoonutHateMe
Prole

Post by DoonutHateMe »

Aw.. Men! Thanks for the reply though...

I'm running a game with 0.9.2 LÖVE that requires 0.10.0+ LÖVE!
The reason why i need 0.10.0+ is because the game is not loading the image and many crashes (and they don't give me crash logs)
AnRu
Citizen

Post by AnRu »

DoonutHateMe wrote:Aw.. Men! Thanks for the reply though...

I'm running a game with 0.9.2 LÖVE that requires 0.10.0+ LÖVE!
The reason why i need 0.10.0+ is because the game is not loading the image and many crashes (and they don't give me crash logs)
Take a look into config file and check out version field :)
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

I was leading a beginner game coding workshop earlier this week and didn't think of testing love because there were other technical problems to overcome during preparation. I was pretty shocked by love suddenly not running. It was the first time using those specific computers but also the first time using 0.10 (using Start Gamedev). When I switched to laptops which I had used before with 0.9 and they had the same problem, I luckily realized that it must be the new love version and I switched to 0.9.

These computers probably will never get software upgrades because they have a recovery system nobody wants to mess with. Other than school computers, I'm guessing there are countries where old hardware is prevalent and internet speeds make software updates problematic. But it's good to have the 0.9 fallback solution at least.

The error message:
Unable to create OpenGL window
This program requires a graphics card and video drivers which support OpenGL 2.1 or OpenGL ES 2.

Detected OpenGL version:
1.1.0 - GDI Generic (Microsoft Corporation)

Just reporting and including the whole error text so people hopefully can fix their issue quickly.
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

The Microsoft GDI Generic renderer is actually a software renderer – so I guess those laptops might not even have OpenGL drivers capable of hardware acceleration installed.