Need help with quad bleeding

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
drikdrok
Prole

Need help with quad bleeding

Post by drikdrok »

I must have spent atleast 10 hours with this problem... And I have now decided it's time to ask for help.

I'm drawing a world inside a sprite batch, and at certain points, black lines appear between tiles. I'm pretty sure this is caused by "quad bleeding".
I have tried flooring multiple variables at different places, nothing works. I have made borders around the tiles in my spritesheet. And to make everything more complicated. The black lines behave differently depending on what computer i test on...

Perhaps somebody knows what causes it and how to fix it? I have provided the whole project in .love form.
Thanks! :awesome:
Attachments
bleed.png
bleed.png (217.19 KiB) Viewed 5758 times
game.love
(470.57 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
D0NM
Party member

Re: Need help with quad bleeding

Post by D0NM »

you should OVERLAP the tiles.
Now u have 16x16 tiles.
Add extra row and column to each tile -> 17x17
and draw them as you did for 16x16.
Visually you won't see any differences because all the "extra" pixels of your tiles are covered with their neighbour tiles.

Do not worry, some people have the similar problems here.
Because OpenGL has some peculiarities with texture bleeding.

Since you use scaling, you will always have such a problem here.
You might minimize it if you use some integer steps in your scaling. Round the numbers.
Our LÖVE Gamedev blog Zabuyaki (an open source retro beat 'em up game). Twitter: @Zabuyaki.
:joker: LÖVE & Lua Video Lessons in Russian / Видео уроки по LÖVE и Lua :joker:
Fuzzlix
Citizen

Post by Fuzzlix »

D0NM wrote:you should OVERLAP the tiles.
Now u have 16x16 tiles.
Nice trick. I will keep it in mind. It may work well when you "flood fill" your screen top-left to botto-right.
I had similiar trouble in my game. My tiles are very small compared to the display resolution. On hd displays i end up drawing with scale = 6..8.
I use a different solution: i use a canvas to draw all stuff into using scale=1. Finally i draw the canvas with scale=6 to the window.
D0NM
Party member

Post by D0NM »

Fuzzlix wrote: I use a different solution: i use a canvas to draw all stuff into using scale=1.
Finally i draw the canvas with scale=6 to the window.
We use it in Zabuyaki, too. But we still overlap the tiles / graphic chunks at least with 1 pixel.
Because our original scale ~= 1. It is always 2x.
So we had that bleeding issues. Especially when our parallax have many layers with different movement speed, etc

Here goes some interesting reading about the textures
In this case, you will always be sampling the center of each texel and you should not get any bleeding... Unless you use mipmapping, in which case you will always get bleeding starting on the mip level where the scaled subtexture doesn't neatly fit inside the pixel grid.

To generalize, if you want to access a specific texel, the coordinates are calculated as:

Code: Select all

function get_texel_coords(x, y, tex_width, tex_height)
    u = (x + 0.5) / tex_width
    v = (y + 0.5) / tex_height
    return u, v
end
This is called "half pixel correction". There's a more detailed explanation in here if you're interested.
the source
Our LÖVE Gamedev blog Zabuyaki (an open source retro beat 'em up game). Twitter: @Zabuyaki.
:joker: LÖVE & Lua Video Lessons in Russian / Видео уроки по LÖVE и Lua :joker:
drikdrok
Prole

Post by drikdrok »

D0NM wrote:you should OVERLAP the tiles.
Now u have 16x16 tiles.
Visually you won't see any differences because all the "extra" pixels of your tiles are covered with their neighbour tiles.

Do not worry, some people have the similar problems here.
Because OpenGL has some peculiarities with texture bleeding.

Since you use scaling, you will always have such a problem here.
You might minimize it if you use some integer steps in your scaling. Round the numbers.
THANK YOU!!
I will try this :awesome:
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

math.floor all the X and Y coordinates of your drawn images, or better yet, your camera. And don't zoom arbitrarily to decimal values unless you have to.
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

The problem is that texture coordinates are interpolated and can be shifted by sub-pixel amounts, but renderable fragments can only take integer coordinates, and during rendering, fragments are only generated for pixels which centers directly overlap with the polygon. So there may be situations where there are small gap between polygons and fragments are not generated in there. Alternatively, the texture may be subpixel shifted so that on the edges areas outside of the intended texture become visible.

Proper solution is to pad texture with same pixels as on the edge, or wrapped around if the tile is to be rendered with wrapping.
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

A failsafe solution, assuming you can't zoom out too much, is to draw everything in 1:1 scale to a canvas, and then zoom the canvas.
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

That will still happen with non-integer coordinates.
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

Yes, but drawing at 1:1 scale makes it clear what to round and how. Drawing at arbitrary zoom levels causes rounding problems which leads back to black lines.

The problem of this method is that you can only scroll in original pixel coordinates, not fractions (unless you scroll the canvas by the fractional part, after having made it 1 pixel bigger).