What program do you use to make graphics?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
sellers53
Prole

What program do you use to make graphics?

Post by sellers53 »

And by graphics I mean pictures, art, and all the neat drawing stuff. What is your personal favorite?
yetneverdone
Party member

Re: What program do you use to make graphics?

Post by yetneverdone »

sellers53 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:23 pm And by graphics I mean pictures, art, and all the neat drawing stuff. What is your personal favorite?
Aseprite
MadByte
Party member

Post by MadByte »

PyxelEdit:
It's pretty straight forward and easy to use. What I love about it is the multi tile editing and it
also got some useful shading options. Oh and it can visualize animations and export them directly which is
pretty useful.

and Gimp:
because its free and works like I expect it to work :D
MasterLee
Party member

Post by MasterLee »

For Art you can use everything. Once i make some piece of art using SAS which later landed on wedding cards without my permission.
For PixelArt i usually use own coded stuff. Mostly i prefer programs that can be used with keyboard only but not by entering text.
Sir_Silver
Party member

Post by Sir_Silver »

I use piskel to make the pixel art in my games!
xNick1
Party member

Post by xNick1 »

Paint and Gimp =)
MrFariator
Party member

Post by MrFariator »

GraphicsGale, though it's pretty old and windows-only. Aseprite would be my secondary choice, but frankly I do not like its pixel art UI.

Outside of pixel arty stuff, I tend to either draw my art in Adobe Flash CS4, Fire Alpaca (this one is free!) or Paint tool SAI.
amightydish
Prole

Post by amightydish »

Inkscape! Good for vector graphics, but also pixels if you aim for multi res output
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

PhotoShop CS3, which I've had installed for years and has survived countless macOS updates and just won't die. I even put it on a diet. Deleted a bunch of helper apps I don't use like Bridge and all its help documentation and ran it through a binary trimmer to remove the unneeded Carbon and Classic stuff leftover from when Macs were still PowerPC and OS 9. And it still runs. Requires me install Java to run but it runs. Doesn't have Retina support. But it runs. All I use it for is my game dev and quick image editing. I'd switch to Pixelmator, which is cheap and native to current macOS versions, but I can't get used to changing my workflow yet. So I keep it around until it stops working. I suspect the main reason it even still runs is because it's Java based for the most part and Java runs on everything. So I guess until Java dies, I'm stuck with CS3. It's 10 years old now. Probably the oldest unuqdated app I have or have ever had aside from QuickBASIC when I used to play around with that before I found Löve. (And DOOM doesn't count since I use modern source port engines for that.) It still launches fairly quickly so it's not too hard to load it up, jump in, edit, and jump back out. Plus I can make GIFs of my games easily with it. So there's that. (Pixelmator doesn't do this I don't think and my screen recording software is really limited in GIF creation options. PS has very deep customization with GIF creation.)