[Android] libgnustl_shared.so license is GPLv3 not LPGL?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
desman
Prole

[Android] libgnustl_shared.so license is GPLv3 not LPGL?

Post by desman »

I recently read this gnustl from android developer page.
The shared library for this runtime is libgnustl_shared.so, and the static library is libgnustl_static.a.

gnustl is covered by the GPLv3 license, and not the LGPLv2 or LGPLv3. For more information, see the license on the GCC website.
The current LOVE-android port dynamically linked to libgnustl_shared.so.

This is means "almost" every game using LOVE-android released to Google Play Store today also must be released under GPL license (they must provide the source).

If someguy using LOVE and make tons of money on Play Store using gnustl, then FSF can sue him. What do you guys think of this?
slime
Solid Snayke

Re: [Android] libgnustl_shared.so license is GPLv3 not LPGL?

Post by slime »

The license linked within your link (https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc+ ... cense.html) contains an exception for non-GPL apps that were compiled with GCC and use GNU's STL because of it. This is the case with love apps on Android (and love on Linux in general, I believe).
desman
Prole

Re: [Android] libgnustl_shared.so license is GPLv3 not LPGL?

Post by desman »

Thanks, I didn't know that.

Might be a good reason to replace gnustl with LLVM libc++, because gnustl will be removed from Android NDK in near future.