MacOS Dropping Support of OpenGL

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
SadBlobfish
Prole

MacOS Dropping Support of OpenGL

Post by SadBlobfish »

Apple recently made this announcement regarding OpenGL:

"Apps built using OpenGL and OpenCL will continue to run in macOS 10.14, but these legacy technologies are deprecated in macOS 10.14. Games and graphics-intensive apps that use OpenGL should now adopt Metal. Similarly, apps that use OpenCL for computational tasks should now adopt Metal and Metal Performance Shaders."

It's my understanding that LOVE relies on OpenGL for graphics support. How do we plan on handling this looming lack of support for future versions of macOS? Will we bite the bullet and implement Metal support for building on macOS, or will we simply stop actively supporting macOS?

I worry the choice to not support macOS could disincentivize new developers from adopting LOVE to begin with. But at the same time, LOVE's engine's developer base is quite small compared to more mainstream engines, and I can see how adding Metal support could seriously hinder the speed of development. Plus, just because OpenGL is being marked as deprecated doesn't mean it simply won't work. But it is an indication that there may come a day when OpenGL no longer functions on modern macOS distributions.
DarkShroom
Citizen

Re: MacOS Dropping Support of OpenGL

Post by DarkShroom »

wtf???? oh fek off mac... since jobs died i want to go back to pc now

the continuing nastiness of the commercial software industry never ceases to amaze me... this was news to me, as if mac gaming had enough disadvantage already

edit:

i think that what we might see is love 2d works but doesn't gain the advantages of metal (compatibility layer?)
Stifu
Party member

Post by Stifu »

Maybe adding Vulkan support would make more sense than bothering with Metal? But Vulkan can't simply replace OpenGL without dropping support for many old or limited machines (like the Raspberry).
Zabuyaki, our upcoming beat 'em up: https://www.zabuyaki.com
drunken_munki
Party member

Post by drunken_munki »

What they are doing sounds like pointing the barrel of a loaded gun at your own eye so you can see if it is jammed.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »