[Solved... again]

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Darlex
Party member

[Solved... again]

Post by Darlex »

Nothing :D, thanks
Last edited by Darlex on Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi! I wish you have an amazing day!
zorg
Party member

Re: Easy decompression of code in exe files

Post by zorg »

Yes, since it's a zip file at the end of an executable; zip files have footers, or in other words, the part that the operating system understands a file to be a zip archive is at the end of the file, and extracting a zip file is not rocket science either.

That said, encryption is not what protects your projects, the license does; encryption will only be a deterrent for so long; if someone does want access to the contents, they will find a way, sooner or later.

(And we already had this discussion a few times on the forums, and elsewhere too...)

Also, the distribution part on the wiki does start with distributing .love files plainly, and again, those are simple zip archives, so it's very easy to decompress them and see what's inside.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
Darlex
Party member

Re: Easy decompression of code in exe files

Post by Darlex »

zorg wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:40 pm Yes, since it's a zip file at the end of an executable; zip files have footers, or in other words, the part that the operating system understands a file to be a zip archive is at the end of the file, and extracting a zip file is not rocket science either.

That said, encryption is not what protects your projects, the license does; encryption will only be a deterrent for so long; if someone does want access to the contents, they will find a way, sooner or later.

(And we already had this discussion a few times on the forums, and elsewhere too...)

Also, the distribution part on the wiki does start with distributing .love files plainly, and again, those are simple zip archives, so it's very easy to decompress them and see what's inside.
Soooo. Code protection can fail but license no... Cool!
Hi! I wish you have an amazing day!
zorg
Party member

Re: [Solved... again]

Post by zorg »

Also, stop deleting the meaningful part of your thread titles, it's bad form.
you wanted "[Solved] Easy decompression of code in exe files"
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
Stifu
Party member

Re: [Solved... again]

Post by Stifu »

zorg wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:48 pm Also, stop deleting the meaningful part of your thread titles, it's bad form.
you wanted "[Solved] Easy decompression of code in exe files"
Yep, and the same goes for the thread content. It's pointless and confusing to wipe out your own threads once they've been answered. Imagine if most of the threads here were deleted messages...
Zabuyaki, our upcoming beat 'em up: https://www.zabuyaki.com