My game runs fine on my computer, but...

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
FredMSloniker
Prole

My game runs fine on my computer, but...

Post by FredMSloniker »

Many years ago, I owned a Commodore 64. My mom wasn't exactly computer literate, but there was one game on it that she liked, a type-in game from Compute!'s Gazette called 'Tetracrystals of Veluria'. I thought it'd be fun to surprise her by remaking it in LÖVE.

After a day or so of hacking away at it, I got it where I wanted it, packed it up, and went to put it on my mom's computer, and it worked great!

For a fraction of a second. Then it froze.

I'm not sure what's going on. I tried doing a 32-bit and 64-bit distribution; neither worked. I tried changing the playfield to the smallest possible size in case it was an out-of-memory issue. No dice. But it runs fine on my computer, so... I'm not sure what the issue is.

Anyway. Here's the .love; can anybody work out what I'm doing wrong?
Attachments
Tetracrystals of Veluria.love
(4.36 MiB) Downloaded 173 times
veethree
Inner party member

Re: My game runs fine on my computer, but...

Post by veethree »

It seems to run fine on my computer (mid 2012 macbook pro).

Any chance your moms gpu doesn't support canvases/framebuffers?
FredMSloniker
Prole

Post by FredMSloniker »

veethree wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:47 pm It seems to run fine on my computer (mid 2012 macbook pro).

Any chance your moms gpu doesn't support canvases/framebuffers?
Maybe! What do I do if it doesn't? e: wait, I'm using version 11. Shouldn't it not run at all if it doesn't support canvases?
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

It's a nice looking game so good job.
You could check if canvases are supported and show an error message if necessary.
https://love2d.org/wiki/love.graphics.getSupported
https://love2d.org/wiki/love.graphics.getCanvasFormats
Of course, there are ways to draw stuff on the screen without using canvases.
FredMSloniker
Prole

Post by FredMSloniker »

I'll look into it. In the meantime, I'm working on a new version that generates the cell images instead of loading them from files, so they'll be appropriately sized for whatever resolution. (It's working, but I pulled out a feature or two that I was having issues with and haven't put them back yet.) The new version doesn't work on mom's desktop either, but her laptop runs it just fine (I hadn't tried the previous version on it), so... I dunno.

I can try pulling canvas stuff out altogether and see if that makes a difference. I'm not sure that's the issue, though, because it'll work for a frame or two, so it's drawing some stuff before it locks up. Maybe I'll whip up a simple 'hello world'-esque program, see if that seizes up.

e: I just looked at the options for GraphicsFeatures in 11.0, and I don't think I'm using any of those optional things, so...?
FredMSloniker
Prole

Post by FredMSloniker »

Okay. I made a really simple main.lua...

Code: Select all

function love.update(dt)
	toprint = tostring(os.date())
end

function love.draw()
	love.graphics.print(toprint, 400, 300)
end
...bundled it into an executable and ran it on my mom's desktop. The result? It opened a window, showed the time, and immediately hung. Any idea what I should check to see if it's broken?