What happens between built and release?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
eDee
Prole

What happens between built and release?

Post by eDee »

I need an idiots guide to app basics.

You see, I build websites. I know they need a domain, hosting, ftp, code, servers - I need to know all that stuff about apps - please, where do I find that information?

I can code anything, but I don't know what happens between finishing the app and seeing it in the app store - and that's a big gap!

If I build a simple game, code in lua using LOVE - what happens after it's built? Where does it live? Does it need hosting?
Can you please point me in the direction of that information?

Thanks in advance.
ironsheikh
Prole

Re: What happens between built and release?

Post by ironsheikh »

Hi eDee,

I think by "app store", you are referring to both the Apple App Store (iOS) and Google Play (Android). I have no real world experience with development on iOS, but I can give you some pointers.

In broad terms, what happens after you have built an app in Love is:
(1) You convert the Love file into an Android and/or iOS compatible file;
(2) You go through the app submission process on Google Play and/or the App Store, and make any changes required as you go along to ensure the app meets the standards.

The process of submitting an app varies depending on the platform. Each platform has its own set of requirements and standards. Both Apple and Google have developed helpful, detailed checklists to help you understand the process and bring your app to store as efficiently as possible.

App Store (iOS)

The first thing you need to do is port your Love file to iOS. Basic instructions for iOS are available here: https://love2d.org/wiki/Getting_Started#iOS. A second way is to "fuse" the Love file into an iOS app. Read about that here: https://bitbucket.org/bartbes/love-expe ... ew-default.

For a guide on how to get published on the App store, read this blog post: https://instabug.com/blog/how-to-submit ... app-store/

Google Play (Android)

The first thing you need to do is port your Love file to Android: https://love2d.org/wiki/Game_Distribution#Android. There used to be another tool to convert Love files to apk, called "APKTool". If you come across it, it is important to know that this tool is obsolete and shouldn't be used at the time of writing.

Once you have done that, read the Google Play "launch checklist" to get started: https://developer.android.com/distribut ... -checklist. Work your way through the information carefully. It will take you through the entire process from start to launch.

Lastly...

To answer your question, apps are uploaded and hosted on Google/Apple servers. That is where it "lives". There are many reasons for that, but the primary reason is security. To a lesser extent, it is also because the stores would otherwise suffer from broken links and poor download speeds.

I am sure you already know this, but it is worth mentioning that Android users can download your app via your website directly if you want, as an apk file. It is therefore possible to circumvent the Play store completely, provided users enable installation of "unknown sources" on their Android device.

This isn't possible on iOS devices, unless they are jail broken, but only a tiny amount of devices are.
Last edited by ironsheikh on Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:43 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."
eDee
Prole

Post by eDee »

@ironsheikh, Thank you so much, that information helps a lot.
I was talking about app stores in general. I only use Android so the whole iOS is a mystery to me.

I started to make a game with little sprites and background and suddenly wondered if I would need to host the images or if they would be downloaded to the players phone (which seemed likely)

I'm going to read over the information again.
Thanks again.
ironsheikh
Prole

Post by ironsheikh »

eDee wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:58 pm @ironsheikh, Thank you so much, that information helps a lot.
My pleasure.
I was talking about app stores in general. I only use Android so the whole iOS is a mystery to me.
Not sure what you mean by this but as mentioned in my initial post, each app store has its own processes, requirements, and standardizations. There is no "one size fits all" guide, if that is what you are looking for. Further complicated by the fact that not all app stores are smartphone based.

Anyway, if you are familiar with submitting an app to Google Play, then you'll have a good grasp of what is expected when submitting an app to iOS. The link I provided explains it all at length.
I started to make a game with little sprites and background and suddenly wondered if I would need to host the images or if they would be downloaded to the players phone (which seemed likely)
No, these are resources which are packaged with your app and stored on the Google/Apple servers. They are then downloaded locally to the player's phone. So continue as you are with development, at this stage you don't need to worry about having to do anything that you wouldn't normally do when developing for PC, or Android, etc.

Good luck with your game.
"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."