Designing market systems

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
monkyyy
Citizen

Designing market systems

Post by monkyyy »

I liked the idea of recettear, I liked the charm; but fuck its bartering system and the fact it has a little girl who wants handouts, commie scum she is

I want a better system and will be building one shortly. But what games have people played that do this sort of thing well that isn't trading with human in a catan like way.

I'm thinking of having an inventory system where its a list of items with a player set price and a list of customers who have a first class function of what they are looking for and every time you take a turn in my puzzle forge like system it has a chance of making a sell with nice sound effects and emoticons if they liked you, but is ultimately automatic.

Pro of this system

* I could still have a racketeering element if special story customers buys, say a gold sword. They could just die.

* Prices for common items could be remembered and not be annoying bullshit

* Generic humans are now represented as single lines of code with maybe a bit of data on them; capitalism ho.

If anyone has any better ideas or examples before I start.. comments
kikito
Inner party member

Re: Designing market systems

Post by kikito »

Checkout Moonlighter. It has a reasonably varied shop simulator. Best part is when you have to figure out if this new thing that you found is actually something worth value or just some dud. It was a bit too grindy for my taste in the end.
When I write def I mean function.
monkyyy
Citizen

Re: Designing market systems

Post by monkyyy »

From what I heard from reviewers was that moonlighter dropped the ball on the item shop side of things while I can confirm recettear very very much dropped the ball on the combat side; is there different opinion out there?