how does Enet handle large packets? i've read up on a vulnerability with it.

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
pyceanx
Prole

how does Enet handle large packets? i've read up on a vulnerability with it.

Post by pyceanx »

i read it specifically from here:
https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerabilit ... /Enet.html

i'm afraid of people easily crashing my matchmaking servers, so i'd like to know if this is still an issue i should worry about. Enet (or at least how it's implemented in Love2D) doesn't seem to have a setting for capping packet sizes.

i'm wondering if there's some kind of workaround or if it's even an issue. i thought of making a thread to handle Enet servicing, but if Enet did hang, i have no way to kill the thread...

i'd appreciate if someone could ease my concerns here.
slime
Solid Snayke

Re: how does Enet handle large packets? i've read up on a vulnerability with it.

Post by slime »

Those CVEs say they only apply to enet versions from 2005 and earlier, whereas love uses a much more recent version.
pyceanx
Prole

Re: how does Enet handle large packets? i've read up on a vulnerability with it.

Post by pyceanx »

thank you for the reply. i can accept that the vulnerability has likely been fixed. but i'm still concerned about dealing with large packets.

to my understanding, the only way to deal with it is by setting the bandwidth limit. but i'd imagine someone could still.. "clog" the other clients' messages, as the server handled the big one? :death: maybe. i'm not very familiar with the inner workings of Enet.