How to draw color emojis with love.graphics.print()

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
dusoft
Party member

Re: How to draw color emojis with love.graphics.print()

Post by dusoft »

GVovkiv wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:56 pm
grump wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:36 pm
GVovkiv wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:17 pm Like, okay, i can get why you frustrated
But does that make you that angry so you even start call others assholes and so on?
Slime is a good dude and I commend his efforts to create good things. I have the utmost respect for the project he stands for. You, on the other hand, are not even qualified to pass judgment.
ok
Haha, guys! He is grump(y) after all.

Anyway, didn't your account get hacked? It seemed to me to be so with questions marks in the many old posts in different threads. But I guess not.
grump
Party member

Post by grump »

dusoft wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:54 pm Anyway, didn't your account get hacked? It seemed to me to be so with questions marks in the many old posts in different threads. But I guess not.
Nah, it's just a few of them while I had my tantrum over unfair treatment. I'm not happy about it - super embarrassed tbh.
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

No one:
*Post that doesn't make sense*
grump: "You f*cking a**hole f*ck your opinions and f*ck your f*cking brain"

JUST KIDDING.
Okay, Okay, sorry. I was just making a joke about the Batman trailer at the same time. (The trailer has question marks everywhere(kind of) just like your posts ... sigh... my sad attempts at references) You know I can be ... ah, what's that word ... cryptic

The first time I saw it I thought you did that because you wanted to edit the posts later and didn't want anyone to see it until you did, so I was just like 'kay. Then no one was saying anything about it so I said. I wasn't firing shots :ultrahappy:

Man, it was kind of like playing a detective novel thing at some points. Question marks and then pgimeno quoting you on what you said and I would have to fill in blanks parts :rofl: (your post in games thread). Some of those edits can really annoy future people browsing the topic looking for help on a subject just to see the OP post or something is "?????...???..?..????" :( .

Sorry for all the bad energy you're getting (from slime man? from ... me?). You're not a bad person, in fact you're a good helpful person. Just try to ... errr ... un-grumpen up (online where the strangers are watching atleast) :) Still nothing about the speed of loading ttf files?

[edited to remove slurs. -slime]
Last edited by Gunroar:Cannon() on Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
grump
Party member

Post by grump »

Gunroar:Cannon() wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:27 pm No one:
*Post that doesn't make sense*
grump: "You f*cking a**hole f*ck your opinions and f*ck your f*cking brain"

[edited to remove slurs. -slime]
I know you're joking, but I would never, ever, say something like what you're implying there. I'm not the friendliest person around for sure, but this is not how I would act.

Let's put this to rest now and get the thread back on topic.
Party member

:)
(Edit: slurs? The message looks unedited to me. I added the stars and everything :? I didn't slur! :cry: Edit-Edit: oh, just one word from joke :?)

Oh, and a little unrelated, but does font loading take a while? It's just that libgdx uses bitmaps but has the option to load fonts from a ttf file at runtime with the warning that the program would take considerably longer to start up. Is this just a Freetype font loader thing on their side or...?
Last edited by Gunroar:Cannon() on Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

grump
Party member

Post by grump »

Gunroar:Cannon() wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:14 am (Edit: slurs? The message looks unedited to me. I added the stars and everything :? I didn't slur! :cry: Edit-Edit: oh, just one word from joke :?)
Slime has a secret list of words that you can't say. The list is secret because saying those words is forbidden, and the words are forbidden because they're on his list. Stop asking. You're supposed to know them by heart, no matter where you're from. It's made in Canada and therefore to be respected, of course, in the whole world.
Party member

No, it's okay. He sent me a polite message telling me the word and said he just edited it cause he knew I didn't mean it in an offensive way.

milon
Party member

Post by milon »

pgimeno wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:58 pm Fonts with colour emojis probably use features that Löve doesn't support. Try a using a font with B/W emoji support, like https://github.com/googlefonts/noto-emo ... egular.ttf
pgimeno wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:35 pm I made a simple proof of concept with the font I linked, and it worked out of the box, which is why I linked it:

Code: Select all

local fnt = love.graphics.newFont('NotoEmoji-Regular.ttf')
love.graphics.setFont(fnt)

function love.draw()
  love.graphics.print('\xF0\x9F\x98\x80')
end
There may be a problem that my simple POC did not show. I thought the characters were not showing up for dusoft, but maybe I was wrong and the problem is not exactly that.
The noto-emoji font was removed a few days ago from the github repo, and it looks like they only have colored emoji fonts now. The original black and white noto-emoji font can still be accessed here, however: https://www.1001fonts.com/noto-emoji-font.html
Any code samples/ideas by me should be considered Public Domain (no attribution needed) license unless otherwise stated.
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

Nah, things are not really deleted in git repositories unless they do a filter-branch or delete the whole repository.

Here's a permalink: https://github.com/googlefonts/noto-emo ... egular.ttf