How to draw color emojis with love.graphics.print()

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
zorg
Party member

Re: How to draw color emojis with love.graphics.print()

Post by zorg »

BrotSagtMist wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:06 am Images are pretty useless for that if you want seamless zooming.
Regular (ttf/odf) fonts are currently just loaded textures you draw and have the same issues regarding zooming whether the characters are emojis or not (unless you create another Font object with a different size)

Signed distance fields would be one solution that'd support smooth zoming if that's what you mean.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
BrotSagtMist
Party member

Post by BrotSagtMist »

Yes i am aware, I am currently creating tons of fonts, when i show multiple fonts and zoom in/out i either get massive ram usage when i keep them or massive cpu usage from garbage collecting them. Something i found no solution for yet.
But the primary goal is to keep letters sharp not to save on resources.

What are signed distance fields and how would that solve the issue?
obey
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

BrotSagtMist wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:05 am Yes i am aware, I am currently creating tons of fonts, when i show multiple fonts and zoom in/out i either get massive ram usage when i keep them or massive cpu usage from garbage collecting them. Something i found no solution for yet.
But the primary goal is to keep letters sharp not to save on resources.

What are signed distance fields and how would that solve the issue?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signed_distance_function
And specifically relating to fonts: https://github.com/Chlumsky/msdf-atlas-gen

Not sure if it completely solves the issue, but it seems like a decent compromise... also, i do admit the topic has gotten off the thread's original purpose :P
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

grump wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:22 pm ????????????????????????????????????????????
Yosh

Am I the only one seeing "The Batman(2022)" trailer everywhere by grump's post* (couldn't check out other recent posts too)?

Or am I just crazy

Oh, and a little unrelated, but does font loading take a while? It's just that libgdx uses bitmaps but has the option to load fonts from a ttf file at runtime with the warning that the program would take considerably longer to start up. Is this just a Freetype font loader thing on their side or...?

*Just in case no one got this I was talking about question marks and how the trailer points to The Riddler being the villain with a lot of question marks and ... :|
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
grump
Party member

Post by grump »

Gunroar:Cannon() wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:21 am
grump wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:22 pm ????????????????????????????????????????????
Am I the only one seeing "The Batman(2022)" trailer everywhere by grump's post* (couldn't check out other recent posts too)?
Even with your "explanation" I think that no one knows what the fuck you're talking about.

The question marks were my childish response to slime being an asshole to me in a context that is hidden to you.
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

grump wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:46 pm Even with your "explanation" I think that no one knows what the fuck you're talking about.

The question marks were my childish response to slime being an asshole to me in a context that is hidden to you.
kinda rude
grump
Party member

Post by grump »

GVovkiv wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:51 pm
grump wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:46 pm Even with your "explanation" I think that no one knows what the fuck you're talking about.

kinda rude
I agree.
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

grump wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:09 pm I agree.
Like, okay, i can get why you frustrated
But does that make you that angry so you even start call others assholes and so on?
grump
Party member

Post by grump »

GVovkiv wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:17 pm Like, okay, i can get why you frustrated
But does that make you that angry so you even start call others assholes and so on?
Slime is a good dude and I commend his efforts to create good things. I have the utmost respect for the project he stands for. You, on the other hand, are not even qualified to pass judgment.
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

grump wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:36 pm
GVovkiv wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:17 pm Like, okay, i can get why you frustrated
Slime is a good dude and I commend his efforts to create good things. I have the utmost respect for the project he stands for. You, on the other hand, are not even qualified to pass judgment.
ok