how can i upload a love2d game to gamejolt?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
lemon_juice
Prole

how can i upload a love2d game to gamejolt?

Post by lemon_juice »

hello everyone!! i have just created an account here because i wanna progress in my journey of creation, i wanna make a game about anything really and post the progress on youtube,
and what better place to post that game than gamejolt?
a place where i spent most of my childhood downloading indie games, i wanna be part of them too!! but, i have just started programming, slowly, and between the thing or two that i know how to do is programming in love2d.

But, i dont know how to upload a game there! i wish to upload the game that i have already created (a very simple agr.io tipe game) to start with something, and i wanted to ask here if any of you guys know how to upload a game to gamejolt so i can progress in my journey.
idbrii
Prole

Re: how can i upload a love2d game to gamejolt?

Post by idbrii »

I found makelove really easy to use for making executables and love.js builds.

Assuming you have python installed:

Code: Select all

pip3 install makelove
cd path/to/your/project
makelove --init
makelove --version-name 0.1 lovejs win32
You'll have zip files with a win32 (.exe) build and a lovejs (web/html) build appropriate for uploading.

win32 builds usually work without much effort, so if gamejolt supports downloads that might be enough.

If you get a KeyError when building lovejs, you need to install my version of makelove where I fixed some Windows bugs:

Code: Select all

pip3 install git+http://github.com/idbrii/love-makelove.git@dev#egg=makelove
My patches also add support for uploading to itch.io if you wanted to try that instead of gamejolt.

If your lovejs build doesn't work, check the lovejs project's tips and the compatability section in this guide. It can take a bit of fiddling to get lovejs working, so good luck!