2d mesh building algorythim

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
NoreoAlles
Party member

2d mesh building algorythim

Post by NoreoAlles »

Hey, does anyone got a algorythim that i can use freely, wich builds polygonal meshes made of squares from a map like this:

Code: Select all

map = {

{0,1,1,1,0},
{1,1,0,1,1},
{1,1,1,1,1}

}
It should connect all the 1s to one big mesh and if there are unconnected 1s they should make a new mesh.
"Why do they call it oven when you of in the cold food of out hot eat the food?" - Jon Arbuckle
pgimeno
Party member

Re: 2d mesh building algorythim

Post by pgimeno »

You can use a flood fill algorithm to separate the meshes. A spritebatch is pretty much like a mesh; you can use that - unless you want mesh-specific features like custom vertex attributes or anything.
NoreoAlles
Party member

Post by NoreoAlles »

pgimeno wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:01 pm You can use a flood fill algorithm to separate the meshes. A spritebatch is pretty much like a mesh; you can use that - unless you want mesh-specific features like custom vertex attributes or anything.

I do got a spritebatch, i just need a way to make a box2d mesh out of that shape, im soryy if i didnt get that point accross, i am not so good at english.
"Why do they call it oven when you of in the cold food of out hot eat the food?" - Jon Arbuckle
darkfrei
Party member

Post by darkfrei »

NoreoAlles wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:02 am Hey, does anyone got a algorythim that i can use freely, wich builds polygonal meshes made of squares from a map like this:

map = {

{0,1,1,1,0},
{1,1,0,1,1},
{1,1,1,1,1}

}
It should connect all the 1s to one big mesh and if there are unconnected 1s they should make a new mesh.
The solution is a outline line of this given tiles
So every tile can have two lines: the horizontal one and the vertical one.
Iterate every tile and create the line for given tile and for tiles that are right or lower as the given tile; delete this flag by repeating as:

for y = minY, maxY do
	for x = minX, maxX do
		-- this tile
		cellsMap[y][x].v = not cellsMap[y][x].v
		cellsMap[y][x].h = not cellsMap[y][x].h
		-- right tile border
		cellsMap[y][x+1].v = not cellsMap[y][x+1].v
		-- bottom tile border
		cellsMap[y+1][x].h = not cellsMap[y+1][x].h
So the map

map = {
{0,0,0,0,0},
{0,1,1,0,0},
{0,0,0,1,0},
{0,0,0,0,0},
}
borders-64.png
borders-64.png (3.51 KiB) Viewed 1361 times
has lines by positions:

{x=2, y=2, v=true, h=true},
{x=3, y=2, v=false, h=true},
{x=4, y=2, v=true, h=false},
{x=2, y=3, v=true, h=true},
{x=3, y=3, v=false, h=true},
{x=4, y=3, v=false, h=true},
{x=5, y=3, v=true, h=false},
{x=4, y=4, v=false, h=true},
And then you can convert this outline lines to one or two polygons.
:awesome: in Lua we Löve
:awesome: Platformer Guide
:awesome: freebies
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

NoreoAlles wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:22 pm I do got a spritebatch, i just need a way to make a box2d mesh out of that shape, im soryy if i didnt get that point accross, i am not so good at english.
Hm, Box2D mesh?

Box2D can only handle convex shapes, which for tile-based shapes means rectangles. If you have something more complex, you need to make a body with multiple fixtures, each with a shape. For simplicity, you could have square shapes with the positions in the grid and add as many fixtures as there are squares belonging to each block; I don't know if that would behave sanely though.
NoreoAlles
Party member

Post by NoreoAlles »

pgimeno wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:43 pm
NoreoAlles wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:22 pm I do got a spritebatch, i just need a way to make a box2d mesh out of that shape, im soryy if i didnt get that point accross, i am not so good at english.
Hm, Box2D mesh?

Box2D can only handle convex shapes, which for tile-based shapes means rectangles. If you have something more complex, you need to make a body with multiple fixtures, each with a shape. For simplicity, you could have square shapes with the positions in the grid and add as many fixtures as there are squares belonging to each block; I don't know if that would behave sanely though.
I did that with a body, shape and fixture for each individual block, wich made me get caught on the edges of blocks, but i didnt think just using one big body.
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

Joints are elastic, while bodies with multiple fixtures/shapes are rigid. Still, depending on what you mean by "get caught on the edges of blocks", you may still have trouble if you do it that way.

If that causes problems, the next step would be to find the contour and decompose it into convex shapes. Ideally, a proper convex polygon decomposition algorithm should be used to create the shapes, so that there are as few as possible. I haven't found any convex polygon decomposition library in Lua, though. Maybe you can get away with triangulating the shape with love.math.triangulate, because triangles are convex, but that decomposition generates many more polygons than necessary, so it's not exactly ideal.