How would I hide the title bar?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
sheeshmaster420
Prole

How would I hide the title bar?

Post by sheeshmaster420 »

I'm trying to disable the title bar in my game.
What I mean by title bar:
Screenshot 2022-07-05 214322.png
Screenshot 2022-07-05 214322.png (3.31 KiB) Viewed 2009 times
darkfrei
Party member

Re: How would I hide the title bar?

Post by darkfrei »

https://love2d.org/wiki/love.window.setMode

Code: Select all

love.window.setMode( width, height, {borderless = true} )
But you cannot resize the window anymore.

For my opinion, the resizing must be possible even by the borderless window:

Code: Select all

love.window.setMode( width, height, {resizable = true, borderless = true} )
But not in Love 11.3 :(
:awesome: in Lua we Löve
:awesome: Platformer Guide
:awesome: freebies
marclurr
Party member

Post by marclurr »

You also can't move a borderless window (on Windows 10 at least), which I would say is also necessary for usability. Personally I'd just leave it on.
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

Those features can be implemented in code. There's love.window.setPosition to change the position, and love.window.updateMode to change the size. I've done this to make custom frames ignoring the window manager's ones.

There's also love.window.setFullscreeen which is not exactly what the OP asked but might be a solution to that particular problem.
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

pgimeno wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:14 am Those features can be implemented in code. There's love.window.setPosition to change the position, and love.window.updateMode to change the size. I've done this to make custom frames ignoring the window manager's ones.
It's kinda offtopic, but why someone, as game developer, want to touch window related stuff at all?
I kinda dislike when you run some game and it do something like; custom resizing (so, for example, i can't resize window with my tiling managers, because developer thinks that resizing window via in-game options is the only one way), games force fullscreen/ other window mode, even change minimal window size sometimes, etc.
Aren't it better to not touch this at all and allow to full window contol to, wel,, window manager/os or, at least, make it optional, so if user doesn't like the way you control window, allow them do it via WM/os?
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

GVovkiv wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:02 pm It's kinda offtopic, but why someone, as game developer, want to touch window related stuff at all?
Löve can be useful for more things than games. Granted, the OP was talking about a game, but then there are more kinds of games, like viewtopic.php?f=14&t=81328 where that's a feature.

Anyway, since we're a bit off topic, not sure if you know qmmp or audacious or the app they come from, winamp. That's an example of an application that handles a borderless window by itself
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

pgimeno wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:42 pm
GVovkiv wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:02 pm It's kinda offtopic, but why someone, as game developer, want to touch window related stuff at all?
Löve can be useful for more things than games. Granted, the OP was talking about a game, but then there are more kinds of games, like viewtopic.php?f=14&t=81328 where that's a feature.

Anyway, since we're a bit off topic, not sure if you know qmmp or audacious or the app they come from, winamp. That's an example of an application that handles a borderless window by itself
I know about winamp, and i was talking in overall, not about love in specific. Why game developer (when you don't create any *special* game, where you want to *break* 4th wall, etc) want touch all window related stuff and handle it by themself?
For example, i have Dark Souls Remastered, and people who ported thinks, that it's cool to disallow resize window, so only option is to change size in options screen. But the thing is, that game is using scaling to fill entire window, so it doesn't need locks for specific size, but it did anyway.
I talking about this kind of moment, when game developers trying to remove or disable some window features for no real reason (and don't even adding option to turn it off. For example, how desktop Telegram do: you can switch to custom window handling as Telegram wan't to, or you can switch to system, how WM *want's* it.) which leads in sometimes broken expirience or minor inconviences.