macOS fixes suggested for Love Framework Property Lists

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
meteopath
Prole

macOS fixes suggested for Love Framework Property Lists

Post by meteopath »

I filed a bug report with Apple about my Love app. It kept failing to upload from Xcode to App Store Connect. The reply from Apple said that the love macOS dependencies needed a few fixes. It pointed to six places in the framework property lists where a property was either missing or filled with an invalid value. Specifically, in each of the six cases, it was CFBundleVersion or CFBundle Identifier. I will paste the e-mail below.

My problem occurs every time I try to Upload my app from Xcode to App Store Connect. The upload fails with "Error Analyzing App Version", and no further explanation. I made a dummy project and tested it and got the same results. Here is the dummy project if you want to see the failures:
colorBub.love
(1.73 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
These are the Love assets I'm starting with:
Source code (zip) Jan 02, 2022
macOS dependencies

I realize it might be something I'm doing wrong in the setup. I have done the build from scratch several dozen times, hoping to catch the error. If I'm the one making the error, my best guess is that it has something to do with the warning on the love Game Distribution page about macOS associating all .love files with your app. The various crash messages seem to fit that kind setup. But the crashes happen even when I have removed the UTExportedTypeDeclarations from the plist. So that might not be it at all.

As for the fixes that Apple recommended, I can't figure out what values to sub in. I hope someone can help me with these fixes or help me understand what I am doing wrong. Thank you very much.

Here is the e-mail from Apple responding my bug report:
I grabbed the installer package from your bug and ran some preliminary tests. These picked up some problems that I’d like you to fix before we go further. Specifically:

A. One of your frameworks has a broken version number:

% /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "print :CFBundleVersion" "love.app/Contents/Frameworks/theora.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Info.plist"
1.0d6

The `CFBundleVersion` value must be one to three dot-separated integers. See the docs for the details.

<https://developer.apple.com/documentati ... leversion/>

B. Some of your frameworks have /no/ version number:

% /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "print :CFBundleVersion" "love.app/Contents/Frameworks/love.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Info.plist"
Print: Entry, ":CFBundleVersion", Does Not Exist
% /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "print :CFBundleVersion" "love.app/Contents/Frameworks/freetype.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Info.plist"
% /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "print :CFBundleVersion" "love.app/Contents/Frameworks/freetype.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Info.plist"

That needs fixing.

C. A couple of your frameworks have no bundle identifier:

% /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "print :CFBundleIdentifier" "love.app/Contents/Frameworks/freetype.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Info.plist"
Print: Entry, ":CFBundleIdentifier", Does Not Exist
% /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "print :CFBundleIdentifier" "love.app/Contents/Frameworks/freetype.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Info.plist"
Print: Entry, ":CFBundleIdentifier", Does Not Exist

That also needs fixing.

Of these, my money is on C being the real issue, but I recommend that you fix all of them.