Memory allocation error on Linux + AMD

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
herogameco
Prole

Memory allocation error on Linux + AMD

Post by herogameco »

Hello, I have a Steam player who's running into an issue with my game (Prose & Codes, made with Love 11.3). I really don't think it's a Steam issue, so I'm wondering if anyone here has any ideas. I suggested they update their drivers, but no luck.

Their specs: Running Linux on Ryzen 9 5950x + RX 6800 XT on a X570 motherboard, coupled with 64GB of RAM and an NVMe SSD of 1TB.

They say that *almost* every time they launch the game, they get a "Memory allocation: not enough memory" blue screen error. Sometimes when they restart their computer, the game will launch fine, but usually they get the blue screen.

Even on an old, low spec Linux laptop (Running Zorin, i5 processor, 4 GB RAM), I cannot get this error to trigger. I heard there was an issue with AMD drivers in the past, but are there other AMD issues with Love that might be the culprit?
BrotSagtMist
Party member

Re: Memory allocation error on Linux + AMD

Post by BrotSagtMist »

Well i managed to get "not enough memory" before, booth on the graphic card VRAM and on the RAM. Neither should bring the OS down.
Ask them to play other Löve games just to see if they work.
obey
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

There were several bugs fixed in 11.4 that could possibly be related to that sort of error, if you're interested in updating.
herogameco
Prole

Post by herogameco »

Hmm, okay, I'll look into updating to 11.4. Thanks!
herogameco
Prole

Post by herogameco »

I haven't updated our Linux version to use 11.4 yet so I can't speak to the previous issue, but our Windows version uses 11.4 and I have AMD users reporting odd issues.

For example, when they launch the game they can hear the background music and see our particle effects system on a black screen, but that's it. Based on google searches, this sounds similar to the AMD driver issue that was supposedly fixed back in August 2022. None of these players are using the known-to-be-bugged driver from back then though. I think I will reach out to AMD about the issue, but just wanted to give a little progress update.