Simple, lightweight, general purpose collision detection

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Robin
The Omniscient

Simple, lightweight, general purpose collision detection

Post by Robin »

There is a lot of interest in collision detection around here. There has always been a need for general purpose collision detection less complex than Box2D (love.physics).

Another trend lately has been the revival of community projects.

So here's my idea: why wait around for someone to make this collision lib? Why not combine the two trends and start a community project for general purpose collision detection?

Unfortunately, I lack the time, resources and skills needed to coordinate this project, so I ask you: who wants to lead this project? (I am, however, willing and able to contribute code.)

This thread could be used for both technical and administrative discussion of the project.

My questions to each of you are:
  1. Are you interested in using such a library?
  2. Are you interested in contributing (in whatever way) to this?
  3. Are you interested in leading and coordinating this project?
Help us help you: attach a .love.
tentus
Inner party member

Re: Simple, lightweight, general purpose collision detection

Post by tentus »

I would be willing to contribute code and use the lib in my game(s) if we can get it off the ground. I don't have the time for leading it, but I would be glad to help.
Kurosuke needs beta testers
SoggyWaffles
Citizen

Post by SoggyWaffles »

I am interested. But being very new to lua i wont be of much help.
"Beneath the clouds lives the Earth-Mother from whom is derived the Water of Life, who at her bosom feeds plants, animals and men." ~Larousse
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

I'd be interested in using this. I can also offer random advices and poignant comments and rumblings about how unmaintainable the interface will be and how it will confuse newbies.

As per code contributions, I have my hands full. The tile tutorial is at 33% and there's a pesky bug in middleclass-extras that keeps me awake at night and makes me feel miserable.

Maybe it's a little early to ask this, but - will it be Lua & C++, or Lua-only?

I'm asking because Dr Rosen told me that If I stayed away from C++, he'd eventually give me back my matches. And I need them. To burn stuff.
When I write def I mean function.
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

If we do find a project lead, I respectfully submit the following name suggestion:

Hardon Collider

All spelling intentional.
Kurosuke needs beta testers
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

I am very interested in using this library! :crazy:

I think the library try to be something as robust as http://www.metanetsoftware.com/technique/tutorialA.html

I'm hesitant to lead and maintain it because school starts in a couple days. But:
If someone makes a public repo (of course), and then creates some issues in a tracker to start out with, I would probably take one or two of them.
tentus wrote:If we do find a project lead, I respectfully submit the following name suggestion:

Hardon Collider

All spelling intentional.
I say "Sergeant Mr. Cuddles"
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

kikito wrote:Maybe it's a little early to ask this, but - will it be Lua & C++, or Lua-only?
It would probably make the most sense to make it Lua-only, because more lovers are familiar with Lua than with C++ and more importantly, if we do use C++ and want to gain any traction, it would have to be included in the LÖVE core, and I don't know how the devs feel about that. If they do want to include it, the heavy stuff and inner loops could probably be done in C++.
Lap
Party member

Post by Lap »

Speaking of super useful community libraries, wasn't there some fancy text writing library that included in-text color changes and such that the community could work on together? Almost every game will use text somewhere.
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Post by Taehl »

1) I suppose I'm fairly interested in using it. I guess it would be nice to not always write my own.
2) I'm willing to code for it. If I do, it may be unusual, but it /will/ be optimal.
3) I'll lead it if there's nobody more suitable for the task (but it shouldn't be hard to find such a person).
Last edited by Taehl on Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Lap wrote:Speaking of super useful community libraries, wasn't there some fancy text writing library that included in-text color changes and such that the community could work on together? Almost every game will use text somewhere.
RichtText? It's already (mostly) finished.