Possession - A roguelike made in LÖVE

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Rickton
Party member

Possession - A roguelike made in LÖVE

Post by Rickton »

(UPDATE: This post doesn't reflect it, since it's the original announcement, but the game actually does include graphics now. This post has screenshots and info.)

So, last week was the 7-Day Roguelike Challenge, and I made a game for it using LÖVE (actually, as I was looking through the list of games made for this year's challenge, it looked like there were a few others using LÖVE too, so that's cool).
You play as a ghost escaped from the Nether Regions, trying to make your way to the surface. You are incredibly frail, but have one advantage: you can possess the bodies of the monsters you encounter.

Features:
- 5 levels, each with unique possessable monsters
- A wide variety of creature powers
- Exploding bodies!
- A somewhat modern effects and GUI, for a roguelike (ie you can use the mouse)
- Item-less gameplay
- A high score table, for tracking your wins
- A monsterpedia, which tracks the details of the monsters you possess
- Quick to pick up and play

Here are some screenshots from the development, for what good they're worth (I mean, it is a roguelike):

ImageImageImage

Download Mac or Windows executable, or .love file from itch.io
Last edited by Rickton on Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Possession - Escape from the Nether Regions, my roguelike made in LÖVE for the 2013 7-Day Roguelike Challenge
And its sequel, simply called Possession , which is available on itch.io or Steam, and whose engine I've open-sourced!
alasqa
Prole

Re: Possession - A roguelike made in LÖVE

Post by alasqa »

The game looks and plays great man! Could you perhaps make it open source? A friend and myself are currently trying to make our own roguelike and are very confused with how to start. If you could that would be awesome man.
Ragzouken
Citizen

Post by Ragzouken »

alasqa wrote:The game looks and plays great man! Could you perhaps make it open source? A friend and myself are currently trying to make our own roguelike and are very confused with how to start. If you could that would be awesome man.
All .love files are visible-source; just rename it to .zip and open it!
Rickton
Party member

Post by Rickton »

alasqa wrote:The game looks and plays great man! Could you perhaps make it open source? A friend and myself are currently trying to make our own roguelike and are very confused with how to start. If you could that would be awesome man.
Thanks! I'm working on an updated version right now so I can't post the source, but like Ragzouken said, if you change the love file's extension to .zip you should be able to open it.
Good luck making sense of it though...since I had only 7 days to make it, a lot is pretty hacky (although the basics should be fairly well-implemented since I had those done beforehand). I'd like to clean it up and release a sort of open-source roguelike "starter kit" for people to use with LÖVE to make their own games with, but who knows if I'll actually get around to it.
In any case, thanks again for checking it out and for the compliments!
Possession - Escape from the Nether Regions, my roguelike made in LÖVE for the 2013 7-Day Roguelike Challenge
And its sequel, simply called Possession , which is available on itch.io or Steam, and whose engine I've open-sourced!
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

Love the look of this... great style, I've rarely seen ascii-art used that well together with colors. Nice!
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de
Bransonn
Prole

Post by Bransonn »

I'm alasqa's friend. I didn't even realize he posted here! I was about to send him this, ha.

Great game man. Thanks for letting us take it apart and learn. Means a lot.
Rickton
Party member

Post by Rickton »

Thank you to both of you (and you're welcome to Bransonn).

Version 1.1 is out, mostly containing interface improvements including multiple resolutions and fullscreen mode, and letting you actually set your character's name and gender on a newgame.

(Links removed due to being out of date)

Full list of changes:
- Friendly and enemy summoned mushroom men are now different colors.
- A new "options" menu, which lets you switch the game to/from fullscreen, change the resolution, and change the keyboard refresh rate.
- You can set your name and gender when starting a new game.
- Clicking an adjacent enemy now attacks it as well as targeting it.
- Gameplay tweak: Creatures will not cast spells on you if you're a ghost (it was just too cheap otherwise).
- Fixes:
- Changed the pathfinding algorithm so that monsters will move through diagonal spaces.
- Fixed various typos and inaccuracies.
- Moving into a wall no longer wastes a turn.
- Allied monsters now attack enemies next to them. They still won't chase them unless the player sets the enemy as a target (this is intended).
- Trying to move the targeting cursor through an unseen area no longer resets the cursor.
Last edited by Rickton on Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

Played it a little... it's really great!
After playing it, I liked the style even more... great controls, gameplay is relatively intuitive, and the levels look nice, even though they're so simple. Well done!
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de
Rickton
Party member

Post by Rickton »

I've released a new version of the original Possession. No gameplay changes, but this adds support for graphics, though it has nowhere near the polish and fancy effects that Possession 2 has.

There are separate settings for creature and environment graphics, so if you like having ASCII characters for creatures, but want a graphical level, you can. Or, if you like having creature graphics, but an ASCII level, you can, too.

If you haven't played it, give it a try (link to itch.io page), it's free!

This isn't Possession 2. It uses the same sprites, but Possession 2 has much more polish and flair. I'm still continuing to work on Possession 2, and while I am posting them to the LÖVE forums, if you're interesting in receiving exclusive updates and info, go ahead and sign up for our newsletter!

Screenshots:

Full Graphical Mode
ASCII creature mode

ASCII environment mode

Full ASCII mode