32 lines of goodness, yet another OO lib

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Re: 32 lines of goodness, yet another OO lib

Post by BlackBulletIV »

anjo wrote:
BlackBulletIV wrote:Ruby isn't too slow, it powers Twitter (along with Rails of course).
Not actually true! Twitter was Ruby on Rails for a while, but eventually the engineering team determined that it was too slow, and shifted over to a custom Java server instead.
Argh, that's a shame for RoR. Still, the point remains, Ruby isn't that slow.
ishkabible wrote:
...maybe half as fast I think...
LOL!! have you used C++ and Ruby? i have a challenge for you, make a program in Ruby that can sort an array of 100 million integers in half a second. how can this be done in C++, really easily with std::sort...
Oops...
BlackBulletIV wrote:EDIT: That second sentence was way out of context; I was referring to Java.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Also, RE: Java: the core language may not be too slow, but many of the standard library things (Swing, anyone?) certainly are. And you have to take those in consideration, because Java is nothing without its stdlib.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

anjo wrote:Not actually true! Twitter was Ruby on Rails for a while, but eventually the engineering team determined that it was too slow, and shifted over to a custom Java server instead.
The search architecture functionality was moved to java. The rest is still ruby.
When I write def I mean function.
bmelts
Party member

Post by bmelts »

Robin wrote:Also, RE: Java: the core language may not be too slow, but many of the standard library things (Swing, anyone?) certainly are. And you have to take those in consideration, because Java is nothing without its stdlib.
Yes and no - Swing may be part of the standard library, but Java sees much of its use in environments that don't need a GUI - Apache Tomcat, for instance. Or everyone's favorite trivia robot, Watson, which comprises over 600,000 lines of Java (and over 400,000 lines of C++). Or a whole lot of enterprise-level software. And in these situations, which are nothing if not performance-critical, Java holds up just fine. Pretty much anything graphics-related, particularly Swing, is painfully slow, but otherwise Java is actually highly performant - the "Java is too slow for anything important" meme is very much out-of-date.
kikito wrote:The search architecture functionality was moved to java. The rest is still ruby.
Actually, the back-end stuff was switched to Scala a couple of years prior to that post. Twitter's removed Ruby from their stack entirely.
thelinx
The Strongest

Post by thelinx »

anjo wrote:"Java is too slow for anything important" meme
It's not a meme, if anything it's a bandwagon opinion.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

At least Java is fast enough for MineCraft. I wish Löve was that fast.
thelinx
The Strongest

Post by thelinx »

Yeah, Minecraft is an excellent example of great performance and really good optimisiations.

[/sarcasm]
ishkabible
Party member

Post by ishkabible »

if love was a 3D library it would be fast enough for mine-craft :)
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

ishkabible wrote:if love was a 3D library it would be fast enough for mine-craft :)
Prove it.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Pretty much all of the gameplay code for Natural Selection 2 is written in Lua. The game runs pretty bad right now but that's actually mostly due to lack of code/engine optimization rather than stuff being written in Lua, plus it has a lot more graphical prettiness compared to Minecraft (amazing dynamic lighting, etc). Vendetta Online also has a crapload of core client and server code written in Lua and it runs on decade-old computers and even shitty Android tablets.

Lua is definitely slow compared to C++ or Java, but it's probably the lightest and fastest scripting/high-level programming language out there. The Octaforge 3D game engine has chosen to use Lua as a front-end to developers. :P