Facilitated Escape (Originally Created for LD21)

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Facilitated Escape (Originally Created for LD21)

Post by BlackBulletIV »

The 1.0 version of the game has been released now. Check it out at its page on my website. I'd love to get your feedback on the game, so please fire away with any comments or suggestions.

Enjoy!

Original Message

This time Ludum Dare was a big success for me. I won't duplicate information I've already so I'll refer you to its page on my website and its Ludum Dare entry.

I plan to expand the game from here, and maybe also port it to Flash.
Last edited by BlackBulletIV on Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
SoggyWaffles
Citizen

Re: [Ludum Dare 21] Facilitated Escape

Post by SoggyWaffles »

Looks interesting, only one complaint (So far), my standard... framebuffers.. :P
"Beneath the clouds lives the Earth-Mother from whom is derived the Water of Life, who at her bosom feeds plants, animals and men." ~Larousse
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

I have to echo SoggyWaffles, no hablo framebuffers. :| Also, as kind of a general complaint, I have several dozen game.love files on my hdd. escape.love would make more sense to me, personally.
Kurosuke needs beta testers
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

tentus wrote:Also, as kind of a general complaint, I have several dozen game.love files on my hdd.
This. Death to generic file names!
Help us help you: attach a .love.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

I guess I could probably use ImageData, but I'm not sure how well big images would go. It would be impossible without some sort of caching, that's for sure. In the test I made a little while, almost everyone had support for framebuffers, even non-Po2 ones.

As for the generic filename, I do that to keep the paths on my server looking nice. But since I've had three complaints on that score already, I think I'll change it.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

What about spritebatches? You'll get the performance increase of framebuffers with less RAM/VRAM usage than both framebuffers and imagedata, and they're supported down to OpenGL 1.5 (In 0.8.0 spritebatches are supported by anything that runs LÖVE).
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Are they really that good? I guess that's an option. The only complicating factor being that there's many different tiles, so I'd have to have one SpriteBatch per tile type.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

BlackBulletIV wrote:Are they really that good? I guess that's an option. The only complicating factor being that there's many different tiles, so I'd have to have one SpriteBatch per tile type.
Pack all your tiles into a spritesheet and use quads.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Oooooh, I didn't realise you could multiple quads on the same image with a SpriteBatch. I'm already using a spritesheet, but I'd never realised that I could do that. I'll have to experiment with using them then.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Re: Facilitated Escape (Originally Created for LD21)

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Alright, I've been working on this for a little while. I've attempted to address the video shutter issues, with some success. I do know however that it's definitely not my game's code causing all of the shuttering, at least on my machine. Anyway, details are in the main post:
BlackBulletIV wrote:Update: I'm getting ready to release the (more) final game now, and I'd really appreciate it if you could test it out. The main things I'm wanting to know are:
  • Did you have video shutter issues?
  • Was it too hard?
  • Was it fun, frustrating, etc.?
  • Any suggestions for improvement?
You download the .love file from my Dropbox. Thanks guys!