Vapor - LÖVE Distribution Client

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
veethree
Inner party member

Re: Vapor - LÖVE Distribution Client

Post by veethree »

Are there any requirements about how complete a submitted game is? Cause there probably should be. Otherwise you might get a bunch of barely playable games on there.
riidom
Citizen

Post by riidom »

Logo with adjusted colours, matches almost (due to some node stuff I cant just input the colour that will appear in render, but its within +/-3 per R,G,B in 0-255 range).
Logo in 16, 64, 512 (512² for background image maybe)
vapL16.png
vapL16.png (492 Bytes) Viewed 3018 times
Text in 800x300 and 80x30.
vapT80x30.png
vapT80x30.png (2.99 KiB) Viewed 3017 times
And the .zip (including .blend-source and License info, CC-BY is fine I hope)
vaporlogo.zip
(275.57 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
Now with Alpha everywhere.
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

veethree wrote:Are there any requirements about how complete a submitted game is? Cause there probably should be. Otherwise you might get a bunch of barely playable games on there.
One of the requirements is "be playable," which can be very biased. I'm happy to add just about any game, so long as it isn't riddled with bugs and the author can find hosting.

There was quite some discussion in https://github.com/josefnpat/vapor/issues/51 and the thread linked to the hawkthorne project.
riidom wrote:logos
Very nice! Not to figure out how to cram it in!

Update:

Big update, mostly a new UI interface. I'm looking for suggestions on improving this.

* Added coverflow
* Added selection list (loveframes)
* Added buttons (loveframes)
* Using @UnekPL's loveframes-gray-theme
* Refactoring
* Made games list case insensitive
* Adding website element
* Adding description element

Lots of other changes as well.

If you are a contributor, there are two new fields! Website and Description. Please make sure the data is up to date and if needed, make a pull request or create a new issue!
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
veethree
Inner party member

Post by veethree »

josefnpat wrote:
veethree wrote:Are there any requirements about how complete a submitted game is? Cause there probably should be. Otherwise you might get a bunch of barely playable games on there.
One of the requirements is "be playable," which can be very biased. I'm happy to add just about any game, so long as it isn't riddled with bugs and the author can find hosting.

There was quite some discussion in https://github.com/josefnpat/vapor/issues/51 and the thread linked to the hawkthorne project.
riidom wrote:logos
Very nice! Not to figure out how to cram it in!

Update:

Big update, mostly a new UI interface. I'm looking for suggestions on improving this.

* Added coverflow
* Added selection list (loveframes)
* Added buttons (loveframes)
* Using @UnekPL's loveframes-gray-theme
* Refactoring
* Made games list case insensitive
* Adding website element
* Adding description element

Lots of other changes as well.

If you are a contributor, there are two new fields! Website and Description. Please make sure the data is up to date and if needed, make a pull request or create a new issue!
New UI looks nice. One thing i'd like to see is tooltips. It's not fully clear what some of the buttons do. (for example the red x. Clicked it, Still don't know what it did.)

Also, This is a very personal opinion, But i find it a bit odd that the download button is just a plain looking button ,and the others are these colorful little icons, It's kinda non-persistent. It would make more sense if all the buttons had the same style. But again, That's just me. Great job on this.
bdjnk
Citizen

Post by bdjnk »

josefnpat wrote: Big update, mostly a new UI interface. I'm looking for suggestions on improving this.

* Added coverflow
On my machine, clicking between games far apart in the list results in coverflow style flipping which is both choppy and, if the screen-shots are not yet downloaded, shows the default love pig image (or whatever that is). It's the choppiness and flickering that bothers me though. It's a bit headache inducing.
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

veethree wrote:New UI looks nice. One thing i'd like to see is tooltips. It's not fully clear what some of the buttons do. (for example the red x. Clicked it, Still don't know what it did.)
That should be possible via LoveFrames. I'll make a ticket for that!
veethree wrote:Also, This is a very personal opinion, But i find it a bit odd that the download button is just a plain looking button ,and the others are these colorful little icons, It's kinda non-persistent. It would make more sense if all the buttons had the same style. But again, That's just me. Great job on this.
That's something to consider. The download button is the primary button, and it also changes depending on what state the game is in.
bdjnk wrote:On my machine, clicking between games far apart in the list results in coverflow style flipping which is both choppy and, if the screen-shots are not yet downloaded, shows the default love pig image (or whatever that is). It's the choppiness and flickering that bothers me though. It's a bit headache inducing.
I'm thinking of ditching the coverflow for a simple fade in and fade out, so that may alleviate your troubles.

Update

* Added Love Hotel via 3 Silly Hats! Thanks for the custom build!
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
crow
Party member

Post by crow »

Tho I like your app I don't like the fact you push people to have to use 0.8 I know a few examples a friend and I made what was 0.7 and it would mean we had to convert, I sure you could make it work with both versions.

Also I don't see why you are making people only use love libs this defeats the point of lua if the user has to host there own game shouldn't it be up to them what they include in there game?
Sir Kittenface
Möko IDE Codename (Erös) Returns Soon

I am dyslexic so if any of my replys confusing please just ask me to reword it as this will make things a lot easier for all parties lol.
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

crow wrote:... sure you could make it work with both versions.
I don't think it's that easy. They'd have to include the love binary files... although I don't see why this would be impossible.
However, then this app would no longer just be a love file - it would be more of a complete love distribution and no longer be platform-independent because it would have different dependencies depending on the OS.

The sweet thing about the code right now is that the Vapor runs the games with the version of love which is used to run Vapor... this way it auto-detects the love version installed, on all systems.
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Plus 0.7.2 is pretty outdated: it was released over two years ago. And 0.9.0 will be released soon, quickly making 0.8.0 obsolete.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

I'm curious. What's the official way of retrieving the version of Löve that is currently running the .love file you're in. Is there a love.version global or something? I was using a hacky "if love.window then" to figure out if it's being run in 0.8.0 or 0.9.0 for my current project so it could take advantage of 9 things when available. But was wondering if there was an official way.