The epic love demo thread!

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
rude
Administrator

Re: The epic love demo thread!

Post by rude »

Updated version is much more enjoyable to play. ^^ (Better controls, it seems)

I don't know how you managed 11k points, though. I must really suck at Tetris.
cag
Citizen

Post by cag »

11k points is not hard if you spend more time playing the demo than developing it.
Also, I've realized that I was a complete idiot and forgot the T-block.
There. I swear on my grave that's my last update to Lovetris. >_>
Attachments
lovetris.love
GAH
(43.48 KiB) Downloaded 288 times
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

had to post it again. http://vimeo.com/1367117 Sea Otters! Advance!

so what is that based on again?
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
mike
Administrator

Post by mike »

It looks like the video is a little fast, if I remember correctly.. the lasers aren't that quick..

Anyway, the sea otters originate from the "Go God Go" and "Go God Go XII" episodes of South Park (not sure which one has the epic "Sea otters; advance" line in it, but they're both good).
Now posting IN STEREO (where available)
Tenoch
Citizen

Post by Tenoch »

Yay, finished my first lil' game with Löve !

It took me not much more than several hours, and much of the trouble came from the internal math. Everything else (shiny graphics, easy text rendering and stupendous drag and drop UI ;) ) was so easy it was almost not fun to code anymore :) Ah, where have gone the hours of SDL code debugging in C, with compilation times and invisible bugs ?.. :cry:

So here it is, a little open source remake of Planarity (http://www.planarity.net/). Not that I don't like the original, but I do happen to love open source. And it is clearly not. The guy even asks for donations for a game he probably didn't even spend a day making. Anyway...

The goal, if you don't know Planarity, is to drag the vertices (the little circles) in such a way that the edges (the lines) don't intersect. Simple. But difficult :twisted: A "planar" graph is a graph that can be drawn without intersections, in 2D. Hence the name.

You'll notice that the intersections and associated edges are drawn in red, and that when you'll have tided the mess, a "Next level" button appears. Difficulty increases with levels, of course (it's basically the number of vertices that increases).

I made sure it is always solvable (the graph is first drawn planar, then scrambled).

I hope you like it ! I'm open to any comments or suggestions, bug reports, etc.
Have fun !

PS : is it me or the circle primitive does a bad job under windows? I starting dev on Linux, and the circles were nice, but now that I test it on windows, I get not really round circles (see attachment). Any chance that it is due to my crappy PC, or is it the same everywhere ?
Attachments
Planarity.png
Planarity.png (67.79 KiB) Viewed 6499 times
Planar Löve.love
(2.99 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
"When in doubt, use brute force." Ken Thompson
hagish
Citizen

Post by hagish »

A game where you have to make planets happy by creating music via combining sound-sequences coming from stars and manipulating them with asteroids having different effects, such as faster/slower, higher/lower, or adding pauses.

Still early work in progress

Created last weekend for the overnight-contest of http://dusmania.de .

Homepage: http://ghoulsblade.schattenkind.net/wik ... p/Lalalove
lalalove
lalalove
Lalalove.25.7.2008.png (181.25 KiB) Viewed 6491 times
mike
Administrator

Post by mike »

The Planar Löve game was epic indeed (although it wouldn't load while it had a ö in it's name...)
Are the levels random?
Tenoch
Citizen

Post by Tenoch »

mike wrote:The Planar Löve game was epic indeed (although it wouldn't load while it had a ö in it's name...)
Are the levels random?
Yeah I noticed the pb with the ö... Maybe I just have to use the right encoding in the .conf

The levels are random, yes, and the difficulty is quite random too (it can suddenly decrease, and get up again on the next level). It is due to the fact that to be winnable, a level is generated planar, then scrambled. To generate a level, it takes random nodes and adds as many edges it can without intersection, and then removes the lone nodes. Sometimes it can mean not many edges...
The difficulty just sets the initial number of nodes.

Oh, and by the way, there is no end. Well i suppose you could play until the "level" variable overflows, but that would be a looooong time from now...
It is mostly a game of patience. :) Not very interesting, actually.
"When in doubt, use brute force." Ken Thompson
mike
Administrator

Post by mike »

My suggestion would be to remove the level part as in one session I struggled as shit with level 1 and 2 and then level 3 took me 4 seconds. Just have it randomized and add a "randomize" button (or something) that you can press to get a new puzzle. Seeing as there is no real end to the game and the difficulty doesn't progress normally, why add that aspect of it?
Also: the "next level" text isn't really obvious, so I suggest putting it in the middle of the screen.

</nitpicking>
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

I must say I'm really impressed with LaLaLove, guys! I've tried the latest version with the new sounds. It rocks. :)

Also liked Planar Love. Played way too many levels ;)