Simple Tiled Implementation - STI v1.2.3.0

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Cryogenical
Prole

Re: Simple Tiled Implementation - STI v0.7.5

Post by Cryogenical »

If I wanted to make the map change based on the player colliding with a specific tile (like a doorway), how would I go about re-positioning the character and drawing the new map?

Should I make a separate lua file for map changing, and functions for each map to position the character? Or should this be done in the main.lua?
Rukiri
Citizen

Post by Rukiri »

There should be a property value you can key in and if player touches == to the properties location you'd switch the map.
Repositioning the player can be tricky, are you going on a grid system? if so you'll need to write a moveto function which then you can place player.x and player.y at the specific location you need it to be.
Cryogenical
Prole

Post by Cryogenical »

Is there a way using the base love framework to put a debugger of sorts say in the top left hand corner saying the player's x and y position, and updates as the player moves?

I tried using my player's player.grid_x and player.grid_y, but nothing is even showing on my screen using love.graphics.print(player.grid_x, 5, 5, 5, 5) etc.
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

Is the love.graphics.print(...) at the very end of your love.draw() loop? If not, it's probably being drawn over.
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
Cryogenical
Prole

Post by Cryogenical »

That worked, thanks!

edit to save double post

My x and my y of the player does get reset, but the character itself is bugging out.
Can someone help?
Attachments
LoveTiled.love
(6.65 MiB) Downloaded 156 times
Rukiri
Citizen

Post by Rukiri »

Code: Select all

player.act_x = (player.grid_x - 1) * 32
player.act_y = (player.grid_y - 1) * 32
act_x/y never get updated, only initiated! Place that code inside your update, your movement should be continuous if your pressing a directional key not forced to press it every time ya need to move.
Cryogenical
Prole

Post by Cryogenical »

Rukiri wrote:

Code: Select all

player.act_x = (player.grid_x - 1) * 32
player.act_y = (player.grid_y - 1) * 32
act_x/y never get updated, only initiated! Place that code inside your update, your movement should be continuous if your pressing a directional key not forced to press it every time ya need to move.
Attempted this, didn't work. What should I be setting the original values for act_x/y to be? I've tried 0, 32, and just squares of two.
Karai17
Party member

Post by Karai17 »

Act should be the subpixel location of your entity in any given frame, grid should be the tile your entity is "snapped" to.
STI - An awesome Tiled library
LÖVE3D - A 3D library for LÖVE 0.10+

Dev Blog | GitHub | excessive ❤ moé
Karai17
Party member

Post by Karai17 »

Also worth noting, you should be using act to draw your entity's location, not grid. This allows for tweening (assuming your entity is grid locked).
STI - An awesome Tiled library
LÖVE3D - A 3D library for LÖVE 0.10+

Dev Blog | GitHub | excessive ❤ moé
Rukiri
Citizen

Post by Rukiri »

Karai17 wrote:Also worth noting, you should be using act to draw your entity's location, not grid. This allows for tweening (assuming your entity is grid locked).
This is kinda what I do, but a lot of my code is ported from game maker. I basically just check the x/y and move on a grid and the grid can be changed to anything, expect 1x1....