LoveNoise - A Love Noise library [v0.2.1]

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
substitute541
Party member

Re: LoveNoise - A Love Noise library [v0.2.0]

Post by substitute541 »

Updated LoveNoise to v0.2.0, which now mainly uses Module and NoiseModule objects instead of tables and stuff.

Also commented the code (which is something I rarely do) since I wont be making any docs for a while.
Currently designing themes for WordPress.

Sometimes lurks around the forum.
NightKawata
Party member

Re: LoveNoise - A Love Noise library [v0.2.0]

Post by NightKawata »

Can anybody shout radical 90s cyber backgrounds or SCREENSAVERS?
Your previews remind me of this.
"I view Python for game usage about the same as going fishing with a stick of dynamite. It will do the job but it's big, noisy, you'll probably get soaking wet and you've still got to get the damn fish out of the water." -taylor
Mermersk
Party member

Re: LoveNoise - A Love Noise library [v0.2.1]

Post by Mermersk »

Hmm I will be using the old version until documentation for the new version is here!
substitute541
Party member

Post by substitute541 »

Added new documentation. See project page.

Mermersk
Party member

Post by Mermersk »

substitute541 wrote:Added new documentation. See project page.
Nice! I was testing-learning this library again.

I was wondering in the previous version there was "setnormalized(true/false)", But it's not in the new version, is it now in this new version always on true ? I have no Idea what it means/does, all I know is that when using fractal noise and on normalized(true) it kinda looks like a landmap.

Also what is "setLacunarity()" after some testing of values from 0 to 1(on fractal noise) it seems to just do the same as "setPersistence()".

One thing more, when you have fractal noise and you add colour to it you get like 2 primary colours, like blue and brown, wich look like land and sea. Now it's easy to change how it looks(smoothness, colors, ruggedness) but how would for example make one color more dominant than the other and vice versa?

Nice that you added Billow noise!
substitute541
Party member

Post by substitute541 »

Mermersk wrote:
substitute541 wrote:Added new documentation. See project page.
Nice! I was testing-learning this library again.

I was wondering in the previous version there was "setnormalized(true/false)", But it's not in the new version, is it now in this new version always on true ? I have no Idea what it means/does, all I know is that when using fractal noise and on normalized(true) it kinda looks like a landmap.

Also what is "setLacunarity()" after some testing of values from 0 to 1(on fractal noise) it seems to just do the same as "setPersistence()".

One thing more, when you have fractal noise and you add colour to it you get like 2 primary colours, like blue and brown, wich look like land and sea. Now it's easy to change how it looks(smoothness, colors, ruggedness) but how would for example make one color more dominant than the other and vice versa?

Nice that you added Billow noise!
SetNormalized basically scales the range of the values from 0 to 1 to -1 to 1. Now the range of the values is, by default, -1 to 1, mainly because it's easier to work with (in my case.)

Persistence and Lacunarity.

For the color question, you can just test the value of the noise and see if it's below a certain threshold, then set the color for it. Something like:

Code: Select all

val = noise:getValue(x, y) -- get value from noise at position [x, y]
val = val*0.5+0.5 -- scale the range of the value from 0-1 (for convenience)

if val < 0.2 then
    color = blue
else
    color = green
end

love.graphics.setPixel(x, y, color[1], color[2], color[3], 255)

Mermersk
Party member

Post by Mermersk »

Thanks fro the reply!

I have one more, Billow noise is supposed to be good for clouds. But I don't get it looking like here: http://www.burnweb.net/libnoise/_img/bi ... w_gray.png

I only get a variation of this: https://love2d.org/imgmirrur/7ZHT7Gp.png (octaves = 23 and frequency = 0.01).

So I think my question is how do I make it more "Puffy" like image 1 ?
substitute541
Party member

Post by substitute541 »

Mermersk wrote:Thanks fro the reply!

I have one more, Billow noise is supposed to be good for clouds. But I don't get it looking like here: http://www.burnweb.net/libnoise/_img/bi ... w_gray.png

I only get a variation of this: https://love2d.org/imgmirrur/7ZHT7Gp.png (octaves = 23 and frequency = 0.01).

I don't think you are using the values correctly. Remember that the values range from -1 to 1, so you may have to scale it. For example, if you are using the values in a gray scale image, each of your color channels must have a value noiseval*127+128.

Also, I think that image was generated with billow noise scaled in the lower range, so that the lower values clamps to -1.

Mermersk
Party member

Post by Mermersk »

substitute541 wrote:
Mermersk wrote:Thanks fro the reply!

I don't think you are using the values correctly. Remember that the values range from -1 to 1, so you may have to scale it. For example, if you are using the values in a gray scale image, each of your color channels must have a value noiseval*127+128.

Also, I think that image was generated with billow noise scaled in the lower range, so that the lower values clamps to -1.
Thx for the response! Yeah it worked after following your directions :awesome: , one question though: Why "noiseval*127+128." Why that exact value ?

I just had it at noiseval*255...