LÖVE3D

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
giann
Prole

Re: LÖVE3D

Post by giann »

This really seem awesome !

Is there any documentation for your API somewhere ?
Karai17
Party member

Post by Karai17 »

There would be if there was an API! We're still in the early days and just hacking out code until things work. Once we get all of the big chunks assembled, we'll refine them into a user-friendly API. Until then, feel free to check out my dev blog every now and again to see our progress reports. :D
STI - An awesome Tiled library
LÖVE3D - A 3D library for LÖVE 0.10+

Dev Blog | GitHub | excessive ❤ moé
CaptainMaelstrom
Party member

Post by CaptainMaelstrom »

This is really exciting for me. The comments others have made about being able to make a game more akin to Don't Starve or Smash Bros. (64) is what interests me. I'm sure UE4 and Unity are "better" in a lot of ways, but I tried Unity and it just didn't "click" for me. Granted, I didn't spend as much time with it as I did learning love2d.

If you guys could get the 3D API as tight as the 2D portion (or nearly) then I would be so happy. You're doing great work so far! :crazy:
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

CaptainMaelstrom wrote:This is really exciting for me. The comments others have made about being able to make a game more akin to Don't Starve or Smash Bros. (64) is what interests me. I'm sure UE4 and Unity are "better" in a lot of ways, but I tried Unity and it just didn't "click" for me. Granted, I didn't spend as much time with it as I did learning love2d.

If you guys could get the 3D API as tight as the 2D portion (or nearly) then I would be so happy. You're doing great work so far! :crazy:
While slightly off-topic, I just want to mention that there are tons of 3D frameworks out there. If Unity doesn't click for you, you can always try a few other ones. Making a good API for 3D is much harder than for 2D, and the same goes for learning one, so it can be difficult. Also, don't expect the Löve3D API to be as user friendly as the Löve 2D API is (this is not intended as criticism against the Löve3D devs! I'm sure you'll do way better than the mess that is Unity).
Karai17
Party member

Post by Karai17 »

Just a quick update! This project hasn't been publicly updated in a while, but it is far from dead. Right now we're working on refactoring a whole lot of code including a complete rewrite of our networking code. We're also slowly working out the beginnings of an API that will allow others to more easily use this project once it becomes a bit more mature.

Expect an update within a few weeks. There may not be a huge change in features, but the code will be 9000x nice. It will not be using the new API yet, we're still working that out and have not implemented it in our code.

Ranguna259
Party member

Post by Ranguna259 »

I'm looking forward to seeing the future update :)
Keep up the awesome work :D
LoveDebug- A library that will help you debug your game with an on-screen fully interactive lua console, you can even do code hotswapping :D

Check out my twitter.
Karai17
Party member

Post by Karai17 »

Lately we've been working on assets and other misc stuff so our next release will hopefully look prettier, among other things~

CaptainMaelstrom
Party member

Post by CaptainMaelstrom »

Yay, thanks for the update Karai. I recently played Monument Valley (iOS), and was trying to figure out how good of a job I could do to emulate the style in 2D. Then I thought, "What if I just learned to do 3D stuff.." Love3D still very much excites me.
shakesoda
Citizen

Post by shakesoda »

Update time! We've been neglecting the thread a lot...

- Added Oculus Rift support (I am completely serious)
- New model loader for the IQM format, which supersedes the old IQE loader. It's ~30-50x faster, depending on the file and your machine.
- An actual API, and optional love API monkey-patching to make things easier to use should you so desire.
- Simplified the implementation a lot
- Ported to love 0.10, runs on nightlies now.
- No more dependency on gpu_shader4, although I still do not officially intend to support pre-GL3 hardware.

We've been using this for the game we are working on, so this is absolutely not a dead project. We've just been focusing on making our game work instead of updating this thread. Pictured is just a test model floating in space, not actual game.
excessive ❤ moé (LÖVE3D, CPML, ...). holo on IRC.
Positive07
Party member

Post by Positive07 »

shakesoda wrote: - Added Oculus Rift support (I am completely serious)
I have a serious request! Please support head tracking :awesome: (through an FFI binding? Dont know... would simply be awesome)
for i, person in ipairs(everybody) do
[tab]if not person.obey then person:setObey(true) end
end
love.system.openURL(github.com/pablomayobre)