My First 3D Test

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
ccde
Prole

My First 3D Test

Post by ccde »

Hi. I am a bit new to Love2D, only started a few months ago, but I decided now to try and make a sort of 3D game in Love. This is what I came up with. It's not great, but its more of just a demo to show off how easy I thought it was to make believable 3D in Love. It's actually quite a simple concept, if you want to peak around in the code, but kinda confusing if you think about how the player isn't actually moving, but the world around it is moving.

The controls are what you would expect really.

WASD to move, SPACE to move up, SHIFT (left) to move down and arrow keys to rotate (there is no vertical rotation at the moment :/).

Anyways, tell me what you think of it, and have fun with it :P
Attachments
3D Test.love
(1.39 MiB) Downloaded 315 times
Germanunkol
Party member

Re: My First 3D Test

Post by Germanunkol »

Looking great! Your graphics, or placeholders?
Will you add acceleration and angular acceleration? Those really make a space game feel nice.

I used to make a 3D space game before I found Löve (pun intended) - one thing I noticed is that vertical rotation is horrible to deal with (gimbal lock, sucks). My suggestion is to use quaternions wherever possible. They're annyoing to set up for the first time, but I'm sure there's a Lua quaternion lib somewhere which you can use.

Good luck with this - keep us posted!
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de
veethree
Inner party member

Post by veethree »

You kinda just took the script from oysi's first 3d tutorial and added a few pictures. Not insinuating there's anything wrong with watching tutorials, But copying a script from a tutorial, Making a few minor changes and then saying "this is what i came up with" is a bit sketchy.
ccde
Prole

Post by ccde »

veethree wrote:You kinda just took the script from oysi's first 3d tutorial and added a few pictures. Not insinuating there's anything wrong with watching tutorials, But copying a script from a tutorial, Making a few minor changes and then saying "this is what i came up with" is a bit sketchy.
I didn't copy it, I genuinely used his tutorial to help me understand how to make 3D Games.
ccde
Prole

Post by ccde »

Germanunkol wrote:Looking great! Your graphics, or placeholders?
Will you add acceleration and angular acceleration? Those really make a space game feel nice.

I used to make a 3D space game before I found Löve (pun intended) - one thing I noticed is that vertical rotation is horrible to deal with (gimbal lock, sucks). My suggestion is to use quaternions wherever possible. They're annyoing to set up for the first time, but I'm sure there's a Lua quaternion lib somewhere which you can use.

Good luck with this - keep us posted!
Thanks, and the graphics are placeholders for now, until I am able to make my own reto-style graphics (which is more or less what I am aiming for). Also, that space game is awesome! What did you make it in?
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

ccde wrote:Also, that space game is awesome! What did you make it in?
Thanks! It's been dead for a while now - there were issues we could not figure out, mostly to do with the engine (3DGameStudio), and we wanted to go cross-platform, which the engine couldn't do. 3D GS is great for getting into game dev, but it turned out it was dying when we got very far, and with the closed source code some bugs were very difficult for us to find.
ccde wrote:I didn't copy it, I genuinely used his tutorial to help me understand how to make 3D Games.
Still, I see veethree's point - just add more content to really make it your own work. Following a tutorial is totally fine, but maybe build on it some more before showing it as your own work :).
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de