sandsmas - A LÖVE Editor

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Viomi
Prole

Re: sandsmas - A LÖVE Editor

Post by Viomi »

Positive07 wrote:
Viomi wrote:love main.lua throws an error how it doesn't see imgui.dll or imgui.so (depending on what os you're building on). Apparently it's looking for imgui.so / imgui.dll a folder above wherever you run it; So you must make everything except imgui into a .love package and then run it. :?
LÖVE (nor any other program) can't access dll (so) files inside a zip (love) file, they must be next to the executable or someplace LÖVE can search for it like the save folder when running in fused mode.
Correct.

It would be nice to have README.md at least mention this, though.
EntranceJew
Prole

Post by EntranceJew »

Viomi wrote:You should throw up your bitcoin address or something similar so people can throw donations at you.
If anyone is feeling inclined, there is always giveyourmoneyto.me.
Viomi wrote: imgui.dll is included in your github, rather than a submodule of imgui. The result is that someone building on linux (such as myself) must go and manually build imgui separately and then manually put imgui.so in there, and remove imgui.dll :ehem:
Other builds are available. I actually just wrote some code (not committed yet) to auto-get the correct version of love-imgui off github at runtime to keep the codebase clone-and-runnable. This is probably a bad idea and I am weighing it out.

As for the lack of documentation for fused / unfused games and dealing with static libraries, I understand it can be irritating especially when the love wiki doesn't make a whole lot of mention of how to deal with binary modules except for when releasing your game to public users -- so I'm kind of wrapping my head around it at the same time as everyone else (hence putting the dll in the repo for my own sake).

When I make the change to get rid of the DLL I'll include more detailed instructions on getting any dependencies and how they behave with love.
sandsmas: A LÖVE Editor
My Libraries: Imgur, Palettes, Music Macros, Timer, Hooks
Viomi
Prole

Post by Viomi »

EntranceJew wrote:
Viomi wrote:You should throw up your bitcoin address or something similar so people can throw donations at you.
If anyone is feeling inclined, there is always giveyourmoneyto.me.
Viomi wrote: imgui.dll is included in your github, rather than a submodule of imgui. The result is that someone building on linux (such as myself) must go and manually build imgui separately and then manually put imgui.so in there, and remove imgui.dll :ehem:
Other builds are available. I actually just wrote some code (not committed yet) to auto-get the correct version of love-imgui off github at runtime to keep the codebase clone-and-runnable. This is probably a bad idea and I am weighing it out.

As for the lack of documentation for fused / unfused games and dealing with static libraries, I understand it can be irritating especially when the love wiki doesn't make a whole lot of mention of how to deal with binary modules except for when releasing your game to public users -- so I'm kind of wrapping my head around it at the same time as everyone else (hence putting the dll in the repo for my own sake).

When I make the change to get rid of the DLL I'll include more detailed instructions on getting any dependencies and how they behave with love.
Sounds good.
Thanks for the response, sorry if I sounded bitchy :o:
Zireael
Party member

Post by Zireael »

How do you do the pausing that I can see in the gif/vid?

Also how would I make the game place the dll in the save folder? I know how to find/open the save folder from code, but how to move the dll?
EntranceJew
Prole

Post by EntranceJew »

In order to pause you have to click on parts of the interface that require text input or scroll, it will transfer focus away from the game. Click on the game area to give focus back.

I don't think you need to make the game place it there. But to move a file from inside the archive / root folder, read from a file that already exists and make a new l.fs.newFile and write to it, even if the original file handle is a file in the exact same relative location.
CalmoSoft
Prole

Post by CalmoSoft »

Hello EntranceJew and All,

I have downloaded the Sandsmas from the GitHub but I do not know ho to install it.
Maybe I am ignorant but there is no "exe" or "msi" file.
Thank you very much.

Greetings,
Gal Zsolt
(~ CalmoSoft ~)
EntranceJew
Prole

Post by EntranceJew »

CalmoSoft wrote:Hello EntranceJew and All,

I have downloaded the Sandsmas from the GitHub but I do not know ho to install it.
Maybe I am ignorant but there is no "exe" or "msi" file.
Thank you very much.

Greetings,
Gal Zsolt
(~ CalmoSoft ~)
Apologies for the late reply, but, in order to utilize sandsmas you must download the repository and run sandsmas as a love project as mentioned in the Getting Started instructions. From there you will need to build out your game from the sandsmas/project/pong folder as creating or saving "projects" is not implemented.

This project is very WIP at the moment, so I hope you understand why you must use it like this for now, but I appreciate your interest in using it!
CalmoSoft
Prole

Post by CalmoSoft »

Hello EntranceJew ,

Thank you very much for your help.

Greetings,
Gal Zsolt
(~ CalmoSoft ~)
Nabakin
Prole

Post by Nabakin »

I can't get this to work on Mac. I have LOVE 0.10.2, have downloaded and placed the imgui.so file both in the sandsmas folder and next to the application, but LOVE keeps returning a not found error at require "imgui".
EntranceJew
Prole

Post by EntranceJew »

Nabakin wrote:I can't get this to work on Mac. I have LOVE 0.10.2, have downloaded and placed the imgui.so file both in the sandsmas folder and next to the application, but LOVE keeps returning a not found error at require "imgui".
You may need to put it in the folder equivalent to %appdata% on a mac. if a folder called sandsmas does not already appear, you should be able to make one.

If anyone is interested in coordinating further development of this with me, please let me know. Again, I don't have a whole lot of time to devote to this but I would love to get this in a state decent enough that people can use it to actively develop or at least debug games. (with way less setup, too)