[11.3] AdMob support for Android + EU Consent

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Marty
Citizen

Re: [0.10.2] AdMob support for Android!

Post by Marty »

bio1712 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:10 pm I think we can ignore that, because the targetSdkVersion must be >= 28.
This is Google's statement:
This is a reminder that starting November 1, 2018, updates to apps and games on Google Play will be required to target Android Oreo (API level 26) or higher. After this date, the Play Console will prevent you from submitting new APKs with a targetSdkVersion less than 26.

Configuring your app to target a recent API level ensures that users benefit from significant security and performance improvements, while still allowing your app to run on older Android versions (down to the minSdkVersion).
So the minSdkVersion should still stay 14 to be compatible to all the old potatoes out there, because LÖVE will run on those. So no, we cannot ignore that.
bio1712 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:10 pm We can use PMs, I'll try to answer faster.
I really wanted something that would give you a decent notification instead. Not because it's easier to get your attention, but I don't want to please you to check the forums regularly. I already assumed you don't have much time and I would not hit you up for a long while in any case, since you said:
bio1712 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:10 pm I don't think so, because (as you may have noticed) I don't have much time, and because, in my opinion, the update 11.1 doesn't bring so much innovations.
If there will be a new LOVE update with big improvements (such as HTTPS support), I will update the repo.
I'm not really sure if you saw that I've forked you here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=85468
It would've been handy if you pulled to 11.1, but maybe I will make a new project for the 11.1 port that will use an entire different SDK wrapper for various ad providers, instead of just two, so no prob.
bio1712 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:10 pm Finally, thank you for your interest :)
No prob. I just hoped for some direct link to you, because this could encourage situations that bring innovation and possibilities. Networking can be great, you know?

Whatsoever, please have a nice day! :ultraglee:
Visual Studio Code TemplateRichLÖVE Mobile (AdMob+UnityAds+PlayGamesServices+GameCenter)Add me on Discord

───▄▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▄───
───█▒▒░░░░░░░░░▒▒█───
────█░░░░░░░░░█────
▄▄──█░░░▀█▀░░░█──▄▄
█░░█▀▄░░░░░░░▄▀█░░█
bio1712
Citizen

Post by bio1712 »

modiX wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:36 pm So the minSdkVersion should still stay 14 to be compatible to all the old potatoes out there, because LÖVE will run on those. So no, we cannot ignore that.
Okay, I think we need to implement your code.

modiX wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:36 pm I really wanted something that would give you a decent notification instead. Not because it's easier to get your attention, but I don't want to please you to check the forums regularly.
I've turned the email notifications on :)

modiX wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:36 pm I'm not really sure if you saw that I've forked you here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=85468
It would've been handy if you pulled to 11.1, but maybe I will make a new project for the 11.1 port that will use an entire different SDK wrapper for various ad providers, instead of just two, so no prob.
That's cool, mediation with additional networks is great and efficient.
How about using Appodeal? With only one SDK we can receive ads from over 60 ad networks.

modiX wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:36 pm Networking can be great, you know?
I agree.
We could follow this and this guide to add HTTPS support.

P.S: Since you are in Europe like me, how are you doing for GDPR consent?
Marty
Citizen

Post by Marty »

bio1712 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:44 am Okay, I think we need to implement your code.
I've no time to do a pull request now, just check my current version and see what you can do. I think I even improved some things here and there. There is a final branch for devices below API 14 that should be redundant, tho. Source: https://bitbucket.org/MartyMaro/love2d- ... ?at=MobSvc

Maybe you or someone else can test it on any potato that runs on API < 17.

bio1712 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:44 am That's cool, mediation with additional networks is great and efficient.
How about using Appodeal? With only one SDK we can receive ads from over 60 ad networks.
I was thinking more about Enhance, since it's free and I have connections and knowledge exchange possibilities with the devs of Enhance.

bio1712 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:44 am I've turned the email notifications on :)

[...]

I agree.
We could follow this and this guide to add HTTPS support.
By "networking" I meant to connect to each other socially (i.e. via chat). I don't really expect a good work-together if the only wire between two persons is a slow forum (not the forum is slow, the messaging and the people are). About networking in LÖVE, this is not my focus as of now. The only network connections of my game that I care, is the connection to Google/Apple servers for mobile services (Game-Center, Google Play Games Services, Firebase) that is all coming to my port sooner or later.

bio1712 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:44 am P.S: Since you are in Europe like me, how are you doing for GDPR consent?
I'm very mad on the Green Party for coming up with such a nonsense. People will start accepting everything simply, because they are tired of reading all the privacy policies.

I cannot give you a good answer as of now, though we have good lawyer connections, so this is on our plan to solve. Hopefully it will be enough to dump that privacy policy on the description on the app market page to make sure you are giving data to Google (and UnityAds in my case) when you install and start the app. Enhance, the service I mention above, tries to be GDPR compliant. It allows you to call a specific API function that will force you user to accept the privacy policy with proper callback, so we could get the required permission for various ad provider interactively with the API, too. This is a big reason why I'm looking forward in implementing this into the native ports of LÖVE, even if the service requires you to upload your app to them for code injection. They kinda want to protect their work, I accept.

Last but not least: The GDPR affects almost everybody, so "since you are in Europe" is not really a matter. If you are from the US and still want to target people in EU, GDPR would be a thing for you, too. The only exception is you build a local app that is only useful in your own country or continent that is not part of the EU, so you simply restrict it, in any case.
Visual Studio Code TemplateRichLÖVE Mobile (AdMob+UnityAds+PlayGamesServices+GameCenter)Add me on Discord

───▄▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▄───
───█▒▒░░░░░░░░░▒▒█───
────█░░░░░░░░░█────
▄▄──█░░░▀█▀░░░█──▄▄
█░░█▀▄░░░░░░░▄▀█░░█
bio1712
Citizen

Post by bio1712 »

modiX wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:55 am I was thinking more about Enhance, since it's free and I have connections and knowledge exchange possibilities with the devs of Enhance.
Okay, I prefer to use more traditional frameworks, but if you know the developers and if you trust it this can be a possibility.

For GPDR I’ve managed to add Google Consent SDK, but if we are going to use more networks, this is not a valid solution.
Marty
Citizen

Post by Marty »

bio1712 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:24 am For GPDR I’ve managed to add Google Consent SDK, but if we are going to use more networks, this is not a valid solution.
This is great for now, did you commit and push those changes regarding the Google Consent SDK in the Android and iOS port? If not, please do so, so I can pull those changes from the upstream.

Thanks!

-- modiX
(I changed my name on this forum, please call me Marty from now on)

───▄▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▄───
───█▒▒░░░░░░░░░▒▒█───
────█░░░░░░░░░█────
▄▄──█░░░▀█▀░░░█──▄▄
█░░█▀▄░░░░░░░▄▀█░░█
bio1712
Citizen

Re: [0.11.2] AdMob support for Android + EU Consent

Post by bio1712 »

I have finally updated this library to LÖVE 11.2.
I have also implemented the Google Consent SDK to collect consent from European Users (Consent SDK) and added 2 new functions: love.ads.changeEUConsent() and love.ads.getDeviceLanguage(), that can be useful for internationalization.

I've updated the first post.
yetneverdone
Party member

Re: [11.2] AdMob support for Android + EU Consent

Post by yetneverdone »

Amazing!

If the consent is declined, does that automatically stop ads from showing?? Is there any api for that consent sdk?
AuahDark
Party member

Post by AuahDark »

I would suggest updating to nightly 11.3 instead because there's important fixes for mobile devices, especially performance regression and video playback problem found on Adreno GPUs. Syncing the dependencies to the ones with original repository is also good idea because I updated some of the libraries out there.

Just make sure to cherry-pick the changes.
Profile. Do you encounter crashes in LÖVE Android and wanna send me logcats? Please hit me up in LÖVE Discord and send the full logcat file!
bio1712
Citizen

Post by bio1712 »

yetneverdone wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:27 am Amazing!

If the consent is declined, does that automatically stop ads from showing?? Is there any api for that consent sdk?
The Consent SDK asks the user to choose if he wants to see personalised ads or non-personalised.
The consent is forwarded to the Google Mobile Ads SDK, so that the ad requests can be personalised or non-personalised.
Therefore, if the consent is declined, your application will still show ads, but non-personalised.
Check this for more information.

AuahDark wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:41 am I would suggest updating to nightly 11.3 instead because there's important fixes for mobile devices, especially performance regression and video playback problem found on Adreno GPUs. Syncing the dependencies to the ones with original repository is also good idea because I updated some of the libraries out there.

Just make sure to cherry-pick the changes.
I have built the library starting from this source.
I think I cloned that repository 2 days ago. Is there another, more up to date, repository?

Since I'm totally new to Bitbucket and Git, is there any way to update only the interested files, without starting over?
AuahDark
Party member

Post by AuahDark »

There's also https://github.com/love2d/love-android/tree/0.11.x if you prefer GitHub. Also that's the most up-to-date repository.

You can try to create new git repository of your current fork then merge to it. Make sure to resolve any merge conflicts (in your case there would be much).
Profile. Do you encounter crashes in LÖVE Android and wanna send me logcats? Please hit me up in LÖVE Discord and send the full logcat file!