Steamworks FFI

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
MrFariator
Party member

Re: Steamworks FFI

Post by MrFariator »

Little disheartening to hear, since I might have had use for the library at a later point in time. Of course, it's your choice, so I will respect it.
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

MrFariator, do not be disheartened! I do not recommend using the Steamworks SDK anyways as it will make your games entirely dependent on the Steam client and infrastructure.
MrFariator
Party member

Post by MrFariator »

Oh, I'm not planning on relying on Steamworks exclusively, no. I was mostly thinking of some simpler integration, like Steam Achievements or similar. I already have my own in-game system implemented for these, but it'd be nice to give them out on places that support achievement-like features. I'm sure I can figure these out on my own, when the time comes.
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

MrFariator, unfortunately it is not as simple as that. Steamworks SDK will require authentication, stats and probably a few other features in order to get your achievements working. My recommendation is to roll out your own system and don't waste your time with Steam.
MrFariator
Party member

Post by MrFariator »

For a single player game, all of that can just be logically put into its own little corner in the codebase, only available in builds distributed via Steam. Other platforms can just have it excluded. It might not be a huge thing on my priorities list, but it's something I'll have to look into eventually either way because it's an expected feature.
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

It's entirely within ivan's right to discontinue the library. I can recommend this as an alternative: https://github.com/uspgamedev/luasteam
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

MrFariator wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:02 pm all of that can just be logically put into its own little corner in the codebase
I think you are missing a more important point here. The more we as developers rely on the Steamworks library, the fewer open source tools will be built and maintained for Lua/Love2D. Therefore I can no longer recommend Steam due to their closed source/private infrastructure.