Development Log for Magic Pixel, a game maker using Love2d

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
grump
Party member

Re: Development Log for Magic Pixel, a game maker using Love2d

Post by grump »

pauljessup wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:40 pmYou're word choices
professional writer
Um...

Not doubting you, I know it's true. Or trying to make you mad or something. This was just funny.
Xii
Party member

Post by Xii »

pauljessup wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:07 am The fact you slander it right out as "programmer art", you call it terrible.
pauljessup wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:40 pm It's not final, just what I'm messing around with now.
This is the definition of "programmer art". Something temporary that isn't supposed to look good, but to enable development. It's a widely recognized technical term in the independent game development community.
pauljessup wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:07 am one could assume tgat you wish to start a flamewar. You write posts with a chip on your shoulder.
To release you from the apparent anxiety of your assumptions, I hereby declare myself void of any intentions to flamewars or shoulderchips. Your color scheme has terrible contrast, that's a perfectly reasonable thing to point out, you admit it's temporary and subject to change, so I'm baffled why you think I'm personally attacking you or something.
Tjakka5
Party member

Post by Tjakka5 »

Personally, I think it looks pretty: I really dig the style.
I also threw the colors into a contrast checker, seems like brightness needs to be tweaked very slightly to conform to the standards of large text: https://webaim.org/resources/contrastch ... lor=333355
Hugues Ross
Citizen

Post by Hugues Ross »

that's a perfectly reasonable thing to point out, you admit it's temporary and subject to change, so I'm baffled why you think I'm personally attacking you or something.
If you're a UX designer, you should already know the reason: Presentation can be just as important as content when delivering information.

I generally agree that the low contrast is an issue (though given the very early stage of dev, I'm not exactly losing sleep over it), but the way you decided to deliver that critique came off as pretty aggressive. Perhaps that wasn't your intent, but you wound up with a tone liable to put some people on the defensive regardless of whether you were correct or not.
Xii
Party member

Post by Xii »

Hugues Ross wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:38 am If you're a UX designer, you should already know the reason: Presentation can be just as important as content when delivering information.
No, it's the opposite. Content is paramount. That's why contrast is the concern - information is defined as the perceptible difference between signal and noise. Consider this simple thought experiment: Does a presentation void of information have any function? Obviously not. But information without presentation can still be useful. Caveat: Art can subvert function. But you still need to be able to see the art in question, when working in visual medium.
Hugues Ross wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:38 am the way you decided to deliver that critique came off as pretty aggressive. Perhaps that wasn't your intent, but you wound up with a tone liable to put some people on the defensive regardless of whether you were correct or not.
A problem for people who focus on tone over content. Not mine.

There is no "hate" here (if I hated it I wouldn't have bothered to comment at all), my concerns aren't "slander" (verb; a false statement damaging to a person's reputation), the recepient misinterpreted a standard industry term they perhaps weren't familiar with (programmer art), I didn't call the art "terrible" I said it has terrible contrast, which is a verifiable accessibility issue (see Tjakka5's link), I have no history of starting flame wars on this forum, nor do I have shoulderchips with any member of this community (the act of holding a grudge or grievance that readily provokes disputation). No subtext, just professional opinions.

I admit to complaining a lot, which is an unfortunate occupational reality. Designers who never complain also never change anything. Also I'm autistic and insensitive to people's feelings.
pauljessup
Party member

Post by pauljessup »

Haha
Um...

Not doubting you, I know it's true. Or trying to make you mad or something. This was just funny.
As is always the case, Grump...I've noticed that when anyone picks apart someone else's grammar, they always make a grammar mistake. I guess I'm not immune to this universal irony myself!

I'm ignoring the rest of the responses, otherwise. I wasn't really angry, earlier. I just thought the OP was attacking based on word choice, but if he was just trying to offer helpful advice and was doing it in a clunky way that came off wrong, sure. That's fine

It's early in dev, the colors are just there because I like them. They'll probably change later, sure, whatever, it's not "programmer art" but placeholder colors. And really, like I said, it will be easily themable with simple css style theme files that use hex codes for colors, etc. If someone doesn't like it? They can change it in a few moments! YAY! And hey, it could be a cool thing for building community.

But I'm not even reading the other responses, I did a quick scan and I think...in the end it has nothing to do with this fun little thing I'm working on in my free time as a passion project. So, yeah...

(ps: Xii, you may think you have to complain all day as a UX designer or nothing gets done, etc. But we're not coworkers. We don't have the same boss. We're not working on the same project. So complaining here...is oddly misplaced?)
Xii
Party member

Post by Xii »

pauljessup wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:20 pm it's not "programmer art" but placeholder colors.
Again, placeholder graphics are the exact definition of programmer art. 'Programmer art' is the industry term for placeholder graphics. They are synonymous.
pauljessup wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:20 pm we're not coworkers.
Oh but we are. As independent developers, this community is composed of your co-workers. Our boss is the same - no-one. Our project is the same - LÖVE and what can be made with it. This is exactly the right place, that's why you post here and that's why I post here.
pauljessup
Party member

Post by pauljessup »

Wow, dude, you're just itching for a fight, aren't you? Every single thing I say, you're going to want to turn it into an argument. Don't play innocent like you did above, you can't now. You know what you're saying, you know your tone, and you're just wanting to argue for the sake or arguing. You can't let it go.

But I can. I don't need to post here. See ya.
pauljessup
Party member

Post by pauljessup »

(ps: has nothing to do with "criticism". I took his criticism, several times, said "yup, that will probably change", and that should've been it. This is dumb)
dusoft
Party member

Post by dusoft »

Hey guys, just add each other as a "foe". This discussion system allows for it :-)
And thanks, Tjakka, for posting a link to WEBAIM contract checker. That would be definitely way to go for Xii to provide constructive feedback instead of just to be seen complaining, really.