Development Log for Magic Pixel, a game maker using Love2d

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
pauljessup
Party member

Re: Some thoughts on a GB Studio style development environment for Love and Lua...

Post by pauljessup »

LOL

Duh, of course. I'll do that in a bit.
ddabrahim
Party member

Re: Development Log for Magic Pixel, a game maker using Love2d

Post by ddabrahim »

Maybe it was already mentioned, but can I ask what GUI lib are you using for this? Or did you make your own? I like the layout and seems to got nice selection of controls displayed correctly. Is it also responsive so you can scale the window and controls automatically adjust their size and position, get hidden to fit the window size?
pauljessup
Party member

Post by pauljessup »

My own home brewed UI, one I created several years ago with a tile map editor I made ages ago. It's not anything complex, or else I would just release the library by itself...

But also, it doesn't scale. I mean, I can think of ways to do it? But it feels like, for this project, it would work better if the size was specified. Just how it works, and how the layout works, etc. I want to keep it simplified, and it would cause huge problems when editing a level, if it would have to calculate the scale of the game and then calculate the scale of the window, and then calculate the mouse positions to place down in game objects (or entities as I'm calling them)
pauljessup
Party member

Post by pauljessup »

(it's a really simple UI- create widgets through a widget lua script per each widget, stored in a widget folder. Contains a finite state machine for controlling which wdigets to show, etc. Collision detection for the mouse, and for what's clicked, as well as a click queue, etc for stacked widgets)
pauljessup
Party member

Post by pauljessup »

Streamlined some of the layout, etc. Messed around with doing a map proper, adding in trees and layers and then setting lighting to the scene. I must say, it's pretty easy to use so far. Though the real complex stuff will come soon...

I should really spend time on the webpage and the itch page, etc. Still not ready to upload it to github just yet for people to try out. Mostly because even though I'm sure some people would like to mess around and maybe even contribute to it, it's going through a lot of changes currently, and I don't want people to make a game with this version that won't work in future versions because of drastic changes.
Screen Shot 2021-12-05 at 9.19.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-05 at 9.19.18 PM.png (1.53 MiB) Viewed 9025 times
Screen Shot 2021-12-05 at 9.17.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-05 at 9.17.08 PM.png (1.52 MiB) Viewed 9025 times
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-12-05 at 9.17.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-05 at 9.17.01 PM.png (1.52 MiB) Viewed 9025 times
Xii
Party member

Post by Xii »

The contrast is terrible. Everything is hard to see and washed out. Dark greenish text on dark blueish background?
pauljessup
Party member

Post by pauljessup »

It's not final, just what I'm messing around with now. Glad you hate it so much?

It will also be easily themable
dusoft
Party member

Post by dusoft »

Looks nice.
Xii
Party member

Post by Xii »

pauljessup wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:07 am Glad you hate it so much?
When a professional user interface designer voices their concerns about the usability of your programmer art, it's not hate; It's advice.
pauljessup
Party member

Post by pauljessup »

When a professional user interface designer voices their concerns about the usability of your programmer art, it's not hate; It's advice.
You're word choices say otherwise? The fact you slander it right out as "programmer art", you call it terrible. By word choice, one could assume tgat you wish to start a flamewar. You write posts with a chip on your shoulder.

When a professional writer voices their concerns about the subtext of your sentence...etc, etc...

dusoft- Thanks!