PEEKER - Multi-threaded screen recorder for LOVE, made in LOVE, for LOVE.

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
yetneverdone
Party member

PEEKER - Multi-threaded screen recorder for LOVE, made in LOVE, for LOVE.

Post by yetneverdone »

Here's the initial release of Peeker: https://github.com/flamendless/peeker

It's good for quickly recording gameplay of your love game to avoid setting up external/3rd-party screen recording app.
The lack of audio recording is perfect for quick showcasing/sharing of gameplay footage.

Right now it only supports Linux with FFMPEG installed. IDK yet how I will support Windows as it seems to be a pain there, any suggestion is welcome :)

Also since the hardware I use for testing it is pretty potato, I would like if someone can share/report to me it's performance when it comes to a modern machine with many cores, just dont forget to set

Code: Select all

n_threads and fps
in

Code: Select all

Peeker.start({
	n_threads = 8,
	fps = 30,
})
config to 4 or 8 if you really have a powerful machine (mine can only handle 2)

UPDATE:
Windows is supported but need testing since I do not have any Windows machine. Please reply to me if it works :)
idbrii
Prole

Re: PEEKER - Multi-threaded screen recorder for LOVE, made in LOVE, for LOVE.

Post by idbrii »

IDK yet how I will support Windows as it seems to be a pain there, any suggestion is welcome :)
Works on Windows for me. I had already installed ffmpeg with scoop to work with Screen2Gif.

However, I noticed a bug: if someone used it on macos, and called Peeker.stop(true), it'd delete their captures without creating a movie because cmd is initialized to "" so it's still truthy.

I couldn't get it to record properly in my game with my mix of push (resolution fixer) and gamera (camera) -- it rescales the world if it's outside both of them and captures as if push wasn't there if inside push. Seems to work with each one individually though. Maybe I'll try more later.

I noticed that it doesn't call love.graphics.captureScreenshot. Did you try using the captureScreenshot(channel) variant to push the processing to the background? Briefly testing with captureScreenshot(filename), it seems to resolve the rendering issues for me.
yetneverdone
Party member

Re: PEEKER - Multi-threaded screen recorder for LOVE, made in LOVE, for LOVE.

Post by yetneverdone »

Works on Windows for me. I had already installed ffmpeg with scoop to work with Screen2Gif.
Thanks for testing! Yep Windows is supported now thanks to the people at Discord.
However, I noticed a bug: if someone used it on macos, and called Peeker.stop(true), it'd delete their captures without creating a movie because cmd is initialized to "" so it's still truthy.
Sadly it's hard for me to make it work with MacOS since I dont have one but PRs for MacOS compatibility would be helpful :)
I couldn't get it to record properly in my game with my mix of push (resolution fixer) and gamera (camera) -- it rescales the world if it's outside both of them and captures as if push wasn't there if inside push. Seems to work with each one individually though. Maybe I'll try more later.
Yeah setup with camera is difficult since theres a lot of transformation happening. I believe Peeker is already able to work with camera stuff but it will require a lot of correct ordering and whatnot to make it work (multiple canvases are usually hard haha). Let me know your progress about this
I noticed that it doesn't call love.graphics.captureScreenshot. Did you try using the captureScreenshot(channel) variant to push the processing to the background? Briefly testing with captureScreenshot(filename), it seems to resolve the rendering issues for me.
Hmmm I didnt know that lg.captureScreenshot has that variant, that might be easier to use. I'll check on it later. Thanks for the info.