Love2D builder

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
JesseWebb
Prole

Re: Love2D builder

Post by JesseWebb »

I like how you can drag and drop the file now. The changes you made look nice. I wonder if another Linux user could try to build and run an AppImage for testing. I just tried a third time, and although it builds properly, I'm still not able to run the game. I wonder if it's an issue with Love2D itself, maybe? Other AppImages are able to run on my system, so I don't think it's on my end.

Also, I wasn't able to get the custom icon to show up on the Mac build.
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

I just booted into Linux and found the issue. The symlinks were broken after the recent updates - I can confirm that the Linux builds work properly. Make sure to set the permissions so you can run the downloaded AppImage as an application.
I will need further assistance to get the icons working across platforms. Looks like the default icon doesn't even work with the official Linux distro of Love2D. Thank you for the help, Ivan
milon
Party member

Post by milon »

ivan wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:56 pm I will need further assistance to get the icons working across platforms. Looks like the default icon doesn't even work with the official Linux distro of Love2D. Thank you for the help, Ivan
I did a little poking around, and this (old!) post says that Linux doesn't actually support embedded icons. That's handled using .desktop text files instead.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/212 ... executable

Here's a couple search hits on how to create said text files:
https://www.devdungeon.com/content/crea ... aunch-icon
https://www.baeldung.com/linux/desktop-entry-files

I've played with them a little bit in the past to make basic system shortcuts. I'm uncertain if you can actually use ~ in a desktop entry, but variables like $HOME may work. I've always just hard coded the path, but I also haven't needed to distribute any .desktop files before.
Hopefully this will get you started!
Any code samples/ideas by me should be considered Public Domain (no attribution needed) license unless otherwise stated.
BrotSagtMist
Party member

Post by BrotSagtMist »

Not even that, different distros have different ways of creating icons.
Its not even guaranteed that they all support png/jpg files.
.desktop files is the _normal_ way that most environments support BUT it kinda is meant to be used with a package manager since you need to create entries in the corresponding system folders. And that is kinda the opposite of what you want here since then the distro takes care of distributing.
Oh yea you can just do that, message a repo maintainer and boom your game is available for everyone at a click, many do not consider this.
Same goes for doing a local install, you will need an installer to write the icons in the users local config dir and then you will have to distribute an installer instead the game which makes little sense.
So no, .desktop files are not usable in this case.

Several other linux package formats however support icons by simply appending the icon to the binary, eg squashfs packages.
You just do "cat icon.png >> game" and it appears.
Not all distros support these formats however so
TL;DR: Linux is a mess.
obey
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

BrotSagtMist wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:24 pm TL;DR: Linux is a mess.
At least, it doesn't cost money!...
JesseWebb
Prole

Post by JesseWebb »

ivan wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:56 pm I just booted into Linux and found the issue. The symlinks were broken after the recent updates - I can confirm that the Linux builds work properly. Make sure to set the permissions so you can run the downloaded AppImage as an application.
I will need further assistance to get the icons working across platforms. Looks like the default icon doesn't even work with the official Linux distro of Love2D. Thank you for the help, Ivan
The Linux build now works for me too. Thank you. And yeah, AppImages don't use icons, so I think it's fine to not even worry about custom icons for the Linux side of things. It would be nice for Windows and Mac, though. Let me know if I can help with any further testing for getting the icon issue sorted out.
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

I am a relative newbie when it comes to Linux so thank you for the help.
According to the Love2D wiki:
https://love2d.org/wiki/Game_Distributi ... _for_Linux
If you need to change the icon, place your PNG (SuperGame.png for example) or SVG (SuperGame.svg) icon beside love.desktop and modify the Icon=love to Icon=SuperGame. You can remove love.svg.
I followed the above mentioned tutorial before building my AppImage but to no avail!
What is the "proper" way to distribute apps on Linux besides using third party services like the Ubuntu store?
knorke
Party member

Post by knorke »

Hi,
I tested your nice builder tool and it created functional files for Linux and Windows.

The web version did not work, I got the same "red circle with cross" error as described by others.
I am trying to host it on itch.io and I have no clue about any of the webserver things. :P
In the itch.io menu there is an option to enable
[x] SharedArrayBuffer support — (Experimental) ( https://itch.io/t/2025776/experimental- ... er-support )
but toggling that made no difference.

The page is at: https://gutholz.itch.io/dampfzapfer
password is: 123

As I understand it is a problem with the server config? It would be nice if the builder could somehow create files that can simply be uploaded to itch.io, because that would be a very easy to use service.
Or maybe you can get in contact with itch.io team, I hear they are friendly towards indie development.
Andlac028
Party member

Post by Andlac028 »

If SharedArrayBuffer option in itch.io is not working, try to compile it in compatibility mode (-c option), see Notes in readme
knorke
Party member

Post by knorke »

ok, I tried that.
Now it is "downloading" and "preparing" but then it just shows a lightblue screen with my game's name at top and text: "Built with love.js
Hint: Reload the page if screen is blank"
(Nothing changes if I reload)
using Firefox 105.03 (latest)
Does the link work you?

browser console says:
Referrer Policy: Ignoring the less restricted referrer policy “no-referrer-when-downgrade” for the cross-site request: https://html.itch.zone/html/6927361/index.html index.html
Missing resource in locale en-CA: devtools/client/toolbox.ftl
Missing resource in locale en-GB: devtools/client/toolbox.ftl