Storylets and Love2d

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
pgimeno
Party member

Re: Storylets and Love2d

Post by pgimeno »

Reading this thread, Skyrim's dialogue system comes to mind again and again.
darkfrei
Party member

Post by darkfrei »

pgimeno wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:49 pm Reading this thread, Skyrim's dialogue system comes to mind again and again.
Maybe thousands of text quests form Space Rangers 2.
:awesome: in Lua we Löve
:awesome: Platformer Guide
:awesome: freebies
dusoft
Party member

Post by dusoft »

dusoft
Party member

Post by dusoft »

pauljessup
Party member

Post by pauljessup »

dusoft wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:50 pm What about this?

https://github.com/pauljessup/yarnparser
LOL look who wrote yarnparser! It was me :)

But yarn, as cool as it was, was very much about branching dialogues and stuff. And even though storylets can do something like branching dialogues, where it excels is in an interactive environment, by creating stories based on player interaction. Emily Short did a lot of cool IF games like this. I'm trying to remember one specific blog article that explained it in a way that lit up my brain- not by Emily Short though. They talked about having "story cards" as something similar to lua tables, fired off when certain conditions are met, and then they progress through that story, and multiple stories can happen at once.

I might strip out my rpg game engine specific stuff and release what I'm using here as open source. It would just handle firing off storylets based on world states, so I dunno how helpful it would be, since you would have to do everything else.
dusoft
Party member

Post by dusoft »

pauljessup wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:53 pm LOL look who wrote yarnparser! It was me :)
Haha, nice! What about the other one? It has branching, state, variables, conditions etc.
pauljessup
Party member

Post by pauljessup »

Not quite! It's still the same old way people do dialogue trees. It's more...hmm.

I need to find some of those articles that explain it better than I do. But thanks! These things work great for classic stuff
dusoft
Party member

Post by dusoft »

I would be interested about the result if you proceed with your implementation.
pauljessup
Party member

Post by pauljessup »

Sure, I'm using it in Candlebook Island (was originally called Monster Heart), coming out in the Nintendo Switch later this year (and then eventually to PC/Mac/Linux on Steam, itch, etc). It's not going to be complex, I'm still getting used to how storylets work, so using them in this will be a simplified version. Later games I'll try and use them to a greater advantage, and do some cool stuff with it.
tourgen
Citizen

Post by tourgen »

I'm very interested to see more about storylets too. decent articles on substack about your candlebook island development - good stuff.

my first project with Lua was a text tokenizer and text adventure game with items, about 10-15 rooms, characters and some branching dialog. I'm interested in a more dynamic, even 'procedural' dialog system and storylets seems like the right direction.