SimpleWindows - an extremely simple SNES/PSX/SMS style window system

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
pauljessup
Party member

SimpleWindows - an extremely simple SNES/PSX/SMS style window system

Post by pauljessup »

Yup! Super simple.

https://github.com/pauljessup/simpleWindows

When combined with
https://github.com/sysl-dev/SYSL-Text

it could make for a very powerful text box style system. This is the first in a series of tools I built for my own game engine I'm going to start releasing to the community, open source. Note- any suggestions for improvements is fine. In the future I plan on releasing more and more of these little stand alone utilities that can be used by themselves of in conjunction with other libraries and modules. And then, eventually, I plan on making a little website that compiles these (and some others other people have made) into a tutorial for making RPG's in Love. The system I'm going to call the Lovely RPG Toolkit.

I think this is more realistic than just trying to create OMG AN RPGMAKER. And probably more useful to the community.
milon
Party member

Re: SimpleWindows - an extremely simple SNES/PSX/SMS style window system

Post by milon »

Awesome! I get excited every time you post something. :D
Looking forward to more stuff from you!

Quick thought - I took a brief peek at simpleWindows.lua, and the state definitions caught my line (currently lines 47-50). Wouldn't it be simpler and perhaps slightly faster to rework

Code: Select all

isOpen=function(self) if self.state=="open" then return true else return false end end,
to

Code: Select all

isOpen=function(self) return self.state=="open" end,
etc? I believe this forces the desired bool return without the need for an IF structure. I don't have time to tinker/test right now, but it may help simplify things a little more.
Any code samples/ideas by me should be considered Public Domain (no attribution needed) license unless otherwise stated.
pauljessup
Party member

Post by pauljessup »

Feel free to change it and I'll accept the commits!
pauljessup
Party member

Post by pauljessup »

I'm making the change myself now, so no worries. Thanks for the suggestion!