Official "A Whiff of Steam", the LövelyRPG project topic

The LövelyRPG project, a community initiative aiming to create an open source role playing game.

Moderator: Lövely RPG Community

giniu
Party member

Re: Official "A Whiff of Steam", the LövelyRPG project topic

Post by giniu »

bartbes wrote:I just found out there are 'organizations' as well, maybe this can help you set more permissions.
Interesting, I will look into it - thanks for head-ups!

--edit:
OK, moved lovelyrpgcommunity account to organization. Though actually as I just tested, that it does not solve much yet - i.e. the pull permission does nothing for open source projects (all people can pull, edit wiki and stuff), all registered have pull/push - but there is Owners group that have administrative rights. All Chuck accounts will be added to this group. For now I wasn't editing teams to mirror what was on codaset, because although we can name different groups now, they still have same permissions.

Anyway, we have better identification now that we are organization - I think it will do to us all we need :)

--edit2:
I created group names to mirror Codaset setup. For now all developers have push-pull permissions. I only wasn't able to add nelle/xnellex account, cause I didn't received Github nick. Though probably with time I will be able to add her there.

--edit3:
Oh, and I published 3 members we currently have with write access. Lets see how it will be going - how do you think, can we already remove codaset account and repo to reduce confusion?

--edit4:
Decided to use github's issue label features to simulate milestones. We don't have information what milestone percentage is done, but we can filter open tickets by labels. I will also use it for ticket owners.

--edit5:
oh, and btw - from now on all poll information will be twitted - and thus (I hope so) will land in lovelyrpgcommunity gmail accounts buzz viewable online at http://www.google.com/profiles/lovelyrpgcommunity and to all that follow us in buzz from their own gmail account. Best way to not miss any poll! :)
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

One more thing, I'd like to make a small announcement. As we know, GitHub supports user pages - so - lets get one! :) But because I doubt any developer would like to loose time to take care of maintaining a website, lets open a new position in team - a webmaster. If there is anyone who wants to contribute but don't know how to get started, come join and help us maintain very simple page. Probably at start it would be bunch of links, stuff like that, but make it look nice - the condition - webmaster must be part of LovelyRPG community (i.e. have unbanned user account, 10 posts week old - that is same as love community in standard LCP license, but he can also be lovelyrpg developer - it all is described in documentation near end of appendices - I think nearly everybody here qualify :)). If someone would volunteer, I will create the repository and give access to it (it will be separate repository).

Come and tell us what do you think our page should look like, if there will be more than one offer, we will pick best the usual, democratic way - trough community poll. Remember we are in it together :)
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

I could help with webmastering. (gvx on GitHub)

But why a separate repository? The way GitHub pages work is that they have a special branch for the website (gh_pages), which is completely separate from the rest of the repo already.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

Robin wrote:I could help with webmastering. (gvx on GitHub)

But why a separate repository? The way GitHub pages work is that they have a special branch for the website (gh_pages), which is completely separate from the rest of the repo already.
in case of repository pages (user.github.com/repo) - yes. In case of user pages (user.github.com) you create repository named user.github.com. At least that's how I understand first section of http://pages.github.com/ :)
partymetroid
Citizen

Post by partymetroid »

I found a torrent for Chaos and Evolutions on Legit Torrents. It only has one seeder, but it's better than nothing. :)

CLICK HERE TO LEARN! :awesome:
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Oh, user pages, yes. But wouldn't you also want a project page for A Whiff of Steam? (Then the LovelyRPGcommunity page could point to it and eventual other projects.)
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

Robin wrote:(Then the LovelyRPGcommunity page could point to it and eventual other projects.)
hmm, lets think about it - In future for sure, for now I don't think that it's needed at all, I'd rather redirect from project page to user page for now if at all, there will be plenty of work to do with this single game and it doesn't seem to be near finished - also lovelyrpgcommunity.github.com is long enough address, but it still is shorter than lovelyrpgcommunity.github.com/a-whiff-of-steam :) What do you think? We always can create project page when we finish this one and begin a new one.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

giniu wrote:What do you think? We always can create project page when we finish this one and begin a new one.
Sure. Just add me to the organisation. :P
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

Robin wrote:
giniu wrote:What do you think? We always can create project page when we finish this one and begin a new one.
Sure. Just add me to the organisation. :P
Done, added new team (Webmasters) with push-pull access to repo http://github.com/lovelyrpgcommunity/lo ... github.com and it seems to work, i.e. we will have address http://lovelyrpgcommunity.github.com/ (hmm, it could be shorter, but let's leave it like that - I don't feel like creating new user and moving stuff again - at least not now :)). Oh, and Robin - you are added to it :)
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Can't you rename organisations? I thought you could. (Should be somewhere in some admin area.)