Official "A Whiff of Steam", the LövelyRPG project topic

The LövelyRPG project, a community initiative aiming to create an open source role playing game.

Moderator: Lövely RPG Community

Robin
The Omniscient

Re: Official "A Whiff of Steam", the LövelyRPG project topic

Post by Robin »

giniu wrote:current proposed meeting start is 17:00 CEST.
That's 15:00 UTC, right?
Help us help you: attach a .love.
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

Robin wrote:
giniu wrote:current proposed meeting start is 17:00 CEST.
That's 15:00 UTC, right?
yes, that's 15:00 UTC/GMT
partymetroid
Citizen

Post by partymetroid »

Which is apparently 12:00 Central Standard Time.

I'm not in the Wave yet. Even though I haven't really made any tangible contributions, I think I would be more able to if I would be able to come to the meeting. Please let me know via email or PM, giniu. :)
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

First of all, congratulations to William who just got promoted into Lead Developer, with no single vote against it (100%!). You are already added into proper groups on github organization page :)
partymetroid wrote: I'm not in the Wave yet. Even though I haven't really made any tangible contributions, I think I would be more able to if I would be able to come to the meeting.
This certain meeting is about organization stuff, we wouldn't discuss future contributions this time, or at least, it's not main topic - although it might come out - it's also first meeting so we must see how such event turns out. I will let you know when there will be open meeting on which we will discuss future contributions or content, but such open meetings will be better held on IRC I think, because on Wave we need each email separately and to IRC anyone can come in. Then people who are not listed as actual contributors (but want to be in future) will be welcomed to the open IRC meeting - on such meeting there will also be at least one developer (while on Wave we try to bring almost all developers). I think that we can arrange such event soon enough, so stay tuned :)

--edit:
note: I also ended the movement restriction poll - it was decided (4:1) that we will not restrict movement directions but take nearest approximation.
solecize
Prole

Post by solecize »

giniu wrote:Hi, we for sure would need some graphics - and it might be interesting - are those your sketches/models? Also - would such stuff be compatible with Creative Commons license? I don't know yet if we will need such bullet/bee, but we will need plenty of graphics so lots of different things might fit in :)
Yes- the designs and model are mine- I draw steam punk stuff all the time. Do you guys need specific content- do you have a list? I have a set of concept sketches that I'm working on that are specifically steam punk, and honestly anything that doesn't make it to final use for a specific project you are welcome to use and I would be willing to release it. If you have more specific needs for sprites or whatever i would be willing to help out assuming you have a style in mind or happen to like whatever comps I'm capable of.

If you need some background on me:

I've been drawing sprites and working on games since I was a kid (1985 making ninja sprite animation sequences on graph paper)
I've been drawing and illustrating for my entire career (17 years)
I currently work in media production shooting editing and producing HD video content and animations
I'm new to programming, but have a working knowledge of 2D/3D animations, graphic formats, building graphic libraries, character sequences and deep familiarity with most illustration/ design software and concepts. I'm comfortable working with bitmaps, vector graphics and some 3D modeling/ texturing.
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

Hi all, today we had first developer meeting. We decided to repeat it soon. There are small changes to rules, we removed one paragraph from contribution rules to protect all contributors work, yet still allow changes. Also added planned iterations of prototype 1 (up to probably final, 5th iteration). They also have their tickets already, but their description is just a quickie. Soon, we will add "stuff to do" tickets, so you will have some starting directions for your contributions. I already uploaded new documentation with mentioned changes integrated (and very short summary of what happened recently, including report from meeting - longer version might come in later if people will be interested).

It was decided to concentrate on finishing first prototype, so that's what we need most for now.
solecize wrote: Yes- the designs and model are mine- I draw steam punk stuff all the time. Do you guys need specific content- do you have a list? I have a set of concept sketches that I'm working on that are specifically steam punk, and honestly anything that doesn't make it to final use for a specific project you are welcome to use and I would be willing to release it. If you have more specific needs for sprites or whatever i would be willing to help out assuming you have a style in mind or happen to like whatever comps I'm capable of.
just as I just wrote, we are working on list - you can check few starting pages of documentation, especially the focus. There is short information about style we decided to go for - with some illustrations. For sure, concept illustrations will be needed. There is no such thing as too much weapon ideas for example - or some other devices. Some steampunk-looking trains or other transportation maybe? Stuff like that. I think that those are details (but important details) and that's why they can be integrated with most systems and stories - story usually does not describe certain weapon in much detail, unless it's important to it, but then there should be plenty of other weapons. Also - maybe some clothing - it's also thing that can always come in - I know people are working on stuff like that, but one more "look" of character is never bad. For preparing clothing, it might be interesting to prepare few dummy characters people will paint cloths on, so it looks like same character changing clothes. Hmm... what else might be needed - I don't know, probably other things require already some story written, so we might leave it for time when it's set - but you can always propose stuff - just open ticket on our github page, describe your contribution, attach files and apply label "contribution art" to it - we will look at it, and decide if it goes in straight, or needs some work. Oh, and remember that as far as concept arts go, we only need some common major style - it might - and will - differ in details. Depending on purpose and author of specific drawing. About sprites - I think it's too early. We are working on best specifications using prototypes approach. Currently it is enough that boxes move around. When we will decide on sprite specifications (what guarantees artists does not have to redo them by the way) we will open up for those too - for now it could be loss of time.

I encourage you (and all that wants to help with art or in other fields) to visit our github page and check the focus (it's only 2 pages - near beginning) - you can also skip trough rest of documentation. The pdf is in download section. Then there are tickets/issues where you can post your contributions. You only need github account, no need to be developer or accepted contributor to start tickets.
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

I just made first "stuff to do" ticket. It's kind of bugfix ticket (not exactly, it is just partially implemented feature - notice that in iteration description it's marked as not done. But because it is similar to bugfix and actually require some small changes, it marked as one) - if no one wants to try it, we will do it when we have time for it (I think developers will give you at least few days to play with it, but if you started working on it, tell us). The ticket is described in issue number 7 on our github page. It's fix for movement speed and direction. For a coder who have some free time it should be a quickie, so we decided to give a chance to make contribution - so by taking care of this issue you can become contributor and eventually, if you want to, a developer :)

I hope there will be more such tickets soon, so willing, future contributors will have some direction and starting point to getting into the project. I hope they wouldn't only be code things, though probably because we concentrate on prototypes now, there would be quite some coding tickets like that - with bugs, enchantments or generally tasks. You can monitor "stuff to do" group by following filter rule on github page.
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

After all, seems we will be looking for alternative ways of meeting - Google is cancelling the Wave. One option is IRC, at least for public meetings. Are there other proposed solutions? Ideas? We have time till end of year to find a new platform.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

I vote for IRC. If you like more privacy for dev-only meetings, you can set up invitation-only channels. :)
Help us help you: attach a .love.
partymetroid
Citizen

Post by partymetroid »

Work-in-progress concept artwork: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2982005/steampunkguy_small.png. I know this one is symmetrical, too, but I do actually intend to put him in a composition... or something.

... will probably take some time, though. Plus, I need to work on my entry into the storyline contest... >>;

[edit] Oh, and the reason it looks sloppy is because I'm using Alchemy. :)