Official "A Whiff of Steam", the LövelyRPG project topic

The LövelyRPG project, a community initiative aiming to create an open source role playing game.

Moderator: Lövely RPG Community

Robin
The Omniscient

Re: Official "A Whiff of Steam", the LövelyRPG project topic

Post by Robin »

Alright.

See http://lovelyrpgcommunity.github.com/ for the latest version of the website -- I've tried to make it a bit steam-punkish (perhaps some stylish images of gears and pipes on the background?) and I'd like to know whether I'm going in the right direction.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

Robin wrote:See http://lovelyrpgcommunity.github.com/ for the latest version of the website -- I've tried to make it a bit steam-punkish (perhaps some stylish images of gears and pipes on the background?) and I'd like to know whether I'm going in the right direction.
looks nice :) probably you might add link to this topic as one of first things. About background, I'm leaving it to you, I don't think you would make something bad looking. The page for sure can look a bit steampunkish to relate to our plot. The idea itself - i.e. kind of business card for game - is good too. At least before we will have some screenshots :) So for sure - it is right direction, at least I think so :)

--edit:
I just uploaded .love files for prototype 1 iteration 1 and a WIP for iteration 2 (warning, it's unfinished and buggy, expect it to fail because of missing "goal" if walking around - but still you can move slightly around. I hope that this will help people see where we are at currently. Files are posted in "download" section of our github page.

--edit2:
remember that we asked for organization name rename from lovelyrpgcommunity to lovelyrpg - you might encounter troubles using repository if the move will be in progress. But worry not, it is only temporary.
partymetroid
Citizen

Post by partymetroid »

Another character design.

I think I got some proportions off... but it's stilla WIP. I would have finished it by now, but I was shaking pretty hard earlier. :roll:

Please provide feedback. :)
thelinx
The Strongest

Post by thelinx »

Your art is a bit too symmetrical for my tastes. I like the other aspects of your art style quite a lot, though.
partymetroid
Citizen

Post by partymetroid »

thelinx wrote:Your art is a bit too symmetrical for my tastes. I like the other aspects of your art style quite a lot, though.
I'm using the mirror affect on Alchemy to do the base design. I'm going to try to do a perspective drawing, too... once I get the hang of proportions.

Thank you Loomis! :)
partymetroid
Citizen

Post by partymetroid »

Edit of the Asian Character. I like the face, but the body is a little bulky. Idk, I'll work on it.

And an angled portrait.

Apologies for the "sketchiness". My hands were shaking pretty hard when trying to draw most of it. :/

[edit] Oh, and they're mittens, not boxing gloves. Just thought I should clarify that beforehand.
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

I just created a wave and added whole team and contributors to it. Just in case we will use it later. People who are added should receive email about it. If you got it to wrong email (i.e. you prefer to wave from other account) contact me by PM.

--edit:
btw, I don't know - but our project wasn't renamed and I did not received any word from github. Lets give them some more time though, probably they have plenty of requests.
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

I just updated contributors/developers page, especially I'd like to welcome Robin on board :) He received newly created developer role, the Webmaster. Whoo, hoo - we have 5 developers now and 3 contributors, that makes 8 people working on project, and more working on getting first contribution in!

I also updated documentation to mirror new role and ticketing system changes. There is now priority and type for tickets made by developers, and contribution tickets for future contributors. I also cleaned up whole documentation using three tools: ASpell dictionary, LanguageTool grammar checker and After the Deadline contextual spell/grammar/style checker. Finally, I adjusted ./generate.sh script to fix misconfigured git accounts in history, so autogenerated revision history displays proper names, and added special clause to who can become developer - person must provide us with real name, if someone does not give us real name, we cannot make the promotion. I'd like to urge people who do not want to give their names, you are writing your name under your work you should be proud of, so don't hide - all current developers do not. Oh, and one more thing - I created "communication" wave to which all developers and contributors are added. People added should already get e-mail about unread waves. This will be I hope best way to setup meetings in future. New documentation is uploaded as PDF in download area of our github account.

And that's all for today - one more time hip-hip for our new team member :awesome:
solecize
Prole

Post by solecize »

Don't know what you guys are looking for- but I'm doing some post-production design for a music video I shot. I have a 3d (and 2d illustrations) for a bullet that transforms into a clockwork bee if you can use it. There will be other models and textures in the near future as we are developing backgrounds for use with a bunch of chroma key shots. All the content is owned by my video production company. If you are interested I think it would be cool to have some cross over and I love steam punk.

The video is called screaming jenny if you are interested http://www.flickr.com/photos/solecize/s ... 527307261/
Attachments
jenny_Page_03.jpg
jenny_Page_03.jpg (81.86 KiB) Viewed 5064 times
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

Hi, we for sure would need some graphics - and it might be interesting - are those your sketches/models? Also - would such stuff be compatible with Creative Commons license? I don't know yet if we will need such bullet/bee, but we will need plenty of graphics so lots of different things might fit in :) That reminds me to prepare task poll for community, i.e., stuff to do we know will sooner or later come in but there is no one doing it yet. I will post when it will be ready, and for sure there will be some sketches to make too, you might find something for interesting to pick there :)

btw - as reminder to developers and contributors - we will be holding meeting on wave on 1st August (Sunday) - current proposed meeting start is 17:00 CEST. It still can change, but it seems it will work for most of us. If you are contributor (with accepted contribution!) and you were left out from wave we created (you should get notification about unread wave already), contact me and I will add you to it. Just remember that you need to have accepted contribution in.