"A Whiff of Steam" story contest

The LövelyRPG project, a community initiative aiming to create an open source role playing game.

Moderator: Lövely RPG Community

giniu
Party member

"A Whiff of Steam" story contest

Post by giniu »

Welcome to 'A Whiff of Steam' story contest. Because we know there are multiple ideas how to form the story, we decided to give you chance to write it down and present to us. Below are contest rules.

Submission should be made trough ticket with label "story contest" on our github project page, until 1st October 2010. We reserve rights to discard any submission that do not meet requirements. You can submit multiple but different story ideas - we don't accept similar stories with only some details changed.

What you should do:
  • read current documentation, especially focus and contributions guide/project rules.
  • write the main plot of the story, including multiple endings (if present)
  • write max. 4 A4 pages (approximately 3500-4000 words)
What you shouldn't do:
  • suggest/change existing gameplay features
  • write detailed characteristics of the game's characters
  • write examples of the side quests
  • write story that is not coherent with the vision in the game focus, don't waste your (and our) time
What you should remember:
  • your story must support main game's features and the game setting
  • writing takes time, good writing takes even more time, be aware of that and don't submit too long or complicated stories - it's easier to write something new or expand existing ideas, than throwing out those already written
  • you're working on the story in your own free time, so try to estimate the time you're going to spend on working on the project
And, finally, the prize - the author of the winning story's concept can be promoted to developer/writer rank, even if (s)he does not meet the conditions in documentation.

Good luck!

--edit:
I forgot... if you build on top of what is already in chapter 2, include it in your story idea too - and remember that it counts to the page limit. Chapter 2 is only part you can (but don't have to!) change. Story ideas will be judged by humans, and remember that we always prefer extensions to changes. But if your story is indeed better and cannot be built on what is in chapter 2, go and change it - but remember that you can use it as guidance. Just don't touch focus.
Last edited by bartbes on Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed a typo
Felipe Budinich
Citizen

Re: "A Whiff of Steam" story contest

Post by Felipe Budinich »

I'll take a shot at this.I've written quite a few scripts (but i've always really really wanted to write an rpg). The hardest part will be to overcome the language barrier :-p

¿Can i submit my story in spanish? :crazy:
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

Felipe Budinich wrote:¿Can i submit my story in spanish? :crazy:
I...... don't think so....... unless any developer knows spanish and volunteer to translate ;) Anyone? Me not - so I guess it's safer to use English :)
Felipe Budinich
Citizen

Post by Felipe Budinich »

giniu wrote:I...... don't think so.......
I know, i was kidding, i do this kind of thing for a living/starving, so writting the story will take me no time, and i'll use the spare time to translate :-)
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

I guess the website should say something about this -- I'll add it. (edit: added)
Help us help you: attach a .love.
partymetroid
Citizen

Post by partymetroid »

Wootsauce! I'll try my best. :)
partymetroid
Citizen

Post by partymetroid »

I'm getting pretty close to finishing my entry. :) The timeline for the historical events will probably need some reworking, but it's turning out to be pretty solid. :)
partymetroid
Citizen

Post by partymetroid »

Zomg deadline in five days. GOTTA WORK FASTER! D:
Elvenrix
Prole

Post by Elvenrix »

Holy sh#$!
Wish I had seen this topic before :(
partymetroid
Citizen

Post by partymetroid »

Okay, I... semi-finished my version of the story. The prologue is concretely finished, but I couldn't really think of anymore solid-concrete ideas. I did, however, write down key pieces of the plot... which should be a good baseline for the rest of the story. :)

Here's my entry, both in .doc and .odt formats:

ODT Format,
DOC Format.

As I said in the pitch, I need to discuss a lot of my ideas to come up with concrete aspects of the story.

Thank you for your time in reading my entry!

May the best writer win! :)

[EDIT] Whoops, forgot to make a ticket. Doing so now. :)