Project still alive??

The LövelyRPG project, a community initiative aiming to create an open source role playing game.

Moderator: Lövely RPG Community

peko
Prole

Project still alive??

Post by peko »

Hi guys
i am peko
and i'ld like to get into love
I going to have some time soon
so if the project is still in devpt i'ld like to help for graphics

Here my web site btw
http://ilikelemon.com/

I mostly work in animation and post production industry so far

Cheers Guys
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: Project still alive??

Post by Robin »

You're free to start working on this, but the community around it is dead.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
peko
Prole

Post by peko »

thanks for your reply robin
I wanted join a project to start Love
but i will try to make my own game then :emo:
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

peko wrote:thanks for your reply robin
I wanted join a project to start Love
but i will try to make my own game then :emo:
I can help :) .
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
Chet Jeffrie
Prole

Post by Chet Jeffrie »

Why is the community dead? Because the game isnt finished to the point which makes community ALIVE :)

Forum needs to have some discussions, i checked like 10+ threads, but .. yea, it smells dead :(

P.S
I LOVE RPG :D
peko
Prole

Post by peko »

then what about start a new project ??

something more simple :awesome:
something we can finish in a short time
Then if it's work we can do bigger

but let's do simple to start :)

I am a graphic guy and animator
I know a bit in code but note so much

Does anybody interested???
Positive07
Party member

Post by Positive07 »

Im interested in a community project still then I dont have many ideas...

What about a fighting game or something like that? (RPG, plaforms and puzzles are too common in this forums).
Maybe we can combine two different type of games something like an RPG that uses a 2D fighting method to fight with bosses.

P.S.: I tend to stop in the middle of the development of something so if someone can keep me working it should be alright :crazy:
for i, person in ipairs(everybody) do
[tab]if not person.obey then person:setObey(true) end
end
love.system.openURL(github.com/pablomayobre)
Larsii30
Party member

Post by Larsii30 »

I think a community project could be nice and I would try to participate in it.

I have to say that the idea behind a Whiff of Steam don't really is what I would like to create in a community.

(for everyone to read the idea)
A Whiff of Steam is a 2D role-playing game settled in steam-punk world. The magic is fully fused with the technology. Technology is explained in terms of magic and considered as one of the fields of magical studies.
The view in the game will be divided in two groups - separate detailed tactical view for fights, and consistent view using trimetric projection for travel and location exploration, as seen in Fallout 1 and 2 or Sim City 4. Main locations, like cities, dungeons, quest related places will be created by artists and the rest of the world, i.e., wilderness, is going to be automatically generated, because of size of the world. The general stylistic of game will be eastern flavoured realistic comics style, slightly taking from Chinese Manhua comics tradition. Dreams will be visualised as comic stripes.

conjunction with size of the world, will encourage player to explore.
Another important feature of A Whiff of Steam are interactions with NPCs. Hero will have a chance to build a complex interpersonal relationships, while it won't be easy. He will have to prove being reliable first. The way the hero dresses will have an impact on people's reactions. They will be more eager to share their thoughts and troubles with wealthy mysterious stranger than the poor one. Generosity also affects their attitude. Protagonist's lies, while discovered, change the trust people have in him. Hero may team up with someone to complete the task, but it won't mean that certain person will follow him, everywhere he goes. In the game world people have their own lives as well and they won't sacrifice everything so easily. Unless he proofs them being somehow useful, they won't support him. Creating such huge number of various personalities wouldn't be possible, unless minor characters will have generated personalities. For generating personalities we will use personality archetypes, zodiac stereotypes and enneagram, for short time attitude and feelings, we will use biorhythms.
A Whiff of Steam's story is built around mysterious events. Protagonist awakes near the crashed train, he's severe wounded and can't move but notices that someone is trying to rob him. Soon he looses consciousness again and wakes up in hospital with amnesia. He is tormented with bad dreams. The only hint about his past he has is a note with name and phone number in his pocket. Nobody recognises him, it seems that he has never been to this part of the country. Soon he starts looking for his own past, uncovering his criminal deeds conflicting with his good subconscious side. His dreams become longer and more clear - seems that he was the one who caused the train crash. Police starts to investigate the case and conceives that he was involved in it, while he still cannot remember anything except for causing the crash. The truth won't be easy to discover.

The country, where action takes place, lies on a large island and is isolated from rest of the world. It is governed by Community of the Faithful, church led by orthodox mages. The government is afraid that the world's order is about to change, and carefully watches every revolutionary move. For many years, technology commonly considered as equal to magical science, has been inferior to magic, in fact. But some people fascinated by the power of technology tried to separate those two fields of science. Governors are afraid that technology can eventually became more popular than magic, and people will no longer accept the control and authority of Community of the Faithful. Special services invigilate citizens and report suspicious activities. Single citizen is not aware of the scale of invigilation until he or she is being watched and loses control over his or her life.

The hero's story, although important to him, doesn';t play a big role in the world order, it is just a part of larger picture. It's going to have an influence on the behaviour of the people struggling with their own concerns but not on the large-scale world events themselves.
A Whiff of Steam will strongly affect on players' emotions. Story totally supports emotions that we want to show - rejection, surprise, yet still some hope. The protagonist will be cast out of the society and scared to discover his own past, the past of cruel and heartless man.
Fights will not be key feature of the game, but will be present. They keep the game world more realistic and well-balanced. They also provide optional things to do while traveling. There will be used timed turn based system and action points, that can be spend on movement or other actions. Fights as non key element of gameplay will be optional. Player will be able to choose in the menu if he wants to enable "automatic conflict resolution, that will make whole fight led by AI.
Most skills will evolve by training, the more player use certain skills the better they will get. But there will be more skills than those related to fights, there will be also plenty of practical skills, and what’s new, social skills. All built to same level of complexity.
I think it is very hard to get people togehter for a big project that most of us would enjoy to devlope.
Everyone enjoy different kinds of games. So we need to find something that most of use like.
To do so we could try to review released löve games, set up a list and decide which genre is used the most (or something like that.)

Example list:
May should be a bit more sorted.
Positive07
Party member

Post by Positive07 »

Yeah thats right but also it has to be something new... Maybe a whole set of libraries where someone could create any type game in minutes or so... I dont know :ultrashocked: (Whiff of Steam was too specific I dont think that there where lot of people wanting to develop somethig that complex and structured. Also making a structured game with a big team is difficult cause everyone handles things in a different way) So I dont really know what can we do.
for i, person in ipairs(everybody) do
[tab]if not person.obey then person:setObey(true) end
end
love.system.openURL(github.com/pablomayobre)
Larsii30
Party member

Post by Larsii30 »

I see no need for write completely new libs to "create a game in minutes".
There are pretty well done libs out there, the only thing is if we need something that does not exists we have to write it.

The main questions are can we find a game idea were many people would participate and
are there people who would work on a community project generally out there which also got the skills we need ?

- We need a Project Manager ( Director ) who manage the collaboration of all team members, watch the work of everyone etc.
- A Lead Programmer who manage all the stuff he and the other programmers create, give tasks to other programmers etc.
- Other programmers which will create modules.
- Lead 2D Artist ( maybe a 3D artist if we want to make 2d character animations out of 3D models).( if possible some other 2d Artists, not sure )
- Maybe a Composer for a soundtrack.
- Testers

I think this would be the basics we will need for a "big" project.
(SFX management could be handled by someone how got some time left)
(The plan get worked out with everyone discussting, observance get watched by the Project Manager )

edit: oh and if the planning phase with everyone does not work as it should there still is the way to choose a Game Designer who will decide
what will be done and what won't.
I think there is a good reason why nobody set up a new community project the last 2 years.