90 days of love(2d)

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Mayples
Prole

90 days of love(2d)

Post by Mayples »

Hello all!

First I want to introduce myself. I am a but new to the LUA world but not to the programming world. I have found a love for the LUA language while playing World of Warcraft and tinkering around with making my own version and custom parts of several addon's inside the game. I recently picked up a book on LUA 5.2 and started picking away at it bit by bit. I am a game designer and I also attend full time a game design school. I have released a few small things, mainly mod's, maps and small flash like games. With that being said I am taking the next step and jumping into some love(2d).

I am going to be opening a website soon. I registered the domain 90daysoflove.com today, [ I feel it helps me complete projects by locking myself into a commitment. It's a personal character flaw I have for second guessing myself protection. ], and my goal is to make a game in 90 days. I know that I can probably crank out a game in about 3 days, but I want to go through the process like a journal and make them explination style to show how I am thinking and solving problems. So my goal is to not make a simple game, but to make a game which is feature filled and then.. OPEN SOURCE it. I want to add a ton of things like collisions, goals, achievement handling, shooting, multiple camera angles and quasi to more than likely small 3D applications. During the way I hope to also make a few lib's or tools to assist in either C# or C++. If you are a MAC user, I will be making sure they are C-compliant and develop them in Monospace so that you don't get screwed over. (Mac user as well)

After or during the project I am going to have tutorials on multiple things and a blog dev during the process. I hope this can bring more people to Love2d and to LUA as I am enjoying them both.

My plan is to start the blog Sat: Jun 1st.

I look forward to talking and meeting you all. PS. I am new here.

Thanks! M
Hexenhammer
Party member

Re: 90 days of love(2d)

Post by Hexenhammer »

Wow, that's a crazy ambitious schedule. I certainly couldn't do it. But good luck to you!
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

Welcome to the forums!

Be sure to check our wiki for excellent tutorials, documentation, resources and libraries. We also have an IRC channel!
Mayples wrote:I recently picked up a book on LUA 5.2 and started picking away at it bit by bit.
Just so you know, Love runs Lua 5.1, so be familiar with the changes.

Mayples wrote:I want to add a ton of things like collisions, goals, achievement handling, shooting, multiple camera angles and quasi to more than likely small 3D applications.
Be sure to check the wiki's libraries and read the forums; a lot of these things have already done. No need to reinvent the wheel (unless you think you can do it better! )
Mayples wrote:During the way I hope to also make a few lib's or tools to assist in either C# or C++. If you are a MAC user, I will be making sure they are C-compliant and develop them in Monospace so that you don't get screwed over. (Mac user as well)
If you make libraries for Love, please either do them in C as a Lua extension module, or write modules in Lua 5.1.

On behalf of the many linux users; please do use mono if you make tools!

I wish you the best of luck, and when you get the blog up, please bump the thread so I can remember to subscribe!
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
BulbaMander
Citizen

Post by BulbaMander »

You could say I am thouroghly excited about this. I will definitly be visiting your site
It takes an idiot to do cool things. Thats why they're cool. :emo:
ColourTheory
Prole

Post by ColourTheory »

Well, good luck!

One thing that I saw you did multiple times is call Lua "LUA," which can for some reason piss a lot of developers off.
LuaWeaver
Party member

Post by LuaWeaver »

ColourTheory wrote:Well, good luck!

One thing that I saw you did multiple times is call Lua "LUA," which can for some reason piss a lot of developers off.
It's like calling you "ColorTheory" - just wrong. It's not "Color", it "Colour". It's not "LUA", it's "Lua".
"your actions cause me to infer your ego is the size of three houses" -finley
Plu
Inner party member

Post by Plu »

Sounds like an ambitious plan! Looking forward to see how it works out :)