Most frustrating moment?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
mickeyjm
Party member

Most frustrating moment?

Post by mickeyjm »

I was getting pretty annoyed at some code earlier and at how it was refusing to do my bidding and it got me wondering:

What's the most frustrating thing that's ever happened to you while programming?

For example for me I spent 2 days (not full days, that's just crazy) trying to fix a bug. Only to find the solution was adding:

Code: Select all

if tonumber(w) then
    w = tonumber(w)
end
The worst bit was that in total the troublesome code was only 15 lines long :x
Your screen is very zoomed in...
jjmafiae
Party member

Re: Most frustrating moment?

Post by jjmafiae »

my most frustrating moment must have been i was trying to use love.filesystem (i said things like: FUCKING PEACE OF SH**!) its was very annoying :x
veethree
Inner party member

Post by veethree »

I can't recall the exact circumstances, But i had some code that wasn't working, Like at all. After like 25-30 minutes of trying to figure out whats wrong i realized i fucking forgot to require the file the code i was working on was in. So naturally i slammed my head on the table and stopped programming for about a week cause i accepted the fact that i might just be too stupid for this.
Karai17
Party member

Post by Karai17 »

veethree wrote:I can't recall the exact circumstances, But i had some code that wasn't working, Like at all. After like 25-30 minutes of trying to figure out whats wrong i realized i fucking forgot to require the file the code i was working on was in. So naturally i slammed my head on the table and stopped programming for about a week cause i accepted the fact that i might just be too stupid for this.
I do this all the time. I'll create a folder and add some files on my desktop, work on them for a bit, then realize I need to copy them to my webserver for some reason. I forget to update the files in my IDE so I continue to edit the files on my desktop and spend far too long wondering why nothing is changing... I need to stop coding at 4am. :(
STI - An awesome Tiled library
LÖVE3D - A 3D library for LÖVE 0.10+

Dev Blog | GitHub | excessive ❤ moé
scutheotaku
Party member

Post by scutheotaku »

jjmafiae wrote:my most frustrating moment must have been i was trying to use love.filesystem (i said things like: FUCKING PEACE OF SH**!) its was very annoying :x
I like your selective self-censorship :D
Plu
Inner party member

Post by Plu »

Karai17 wrote:
veethree wrote:I can't recall the exact circumstances, But i had some code that wasn't working, Like at all. After like 25-30 minutes of trying to figure out whats wrong i realized i fucking forgot to require the file the code i was working on was in. So naturally i slammed my head on the table and stopped programming for about a week cause i accepted the fact that i might just be too stupid for this.
I do this all the time. I'll create a folder and add some files on my desktop, work on them for a bit, then realize I need to copy them to my webserver for some reason. I forget to update the files in my IDE so I continue to edit the files on my desktop and spend far too long wondering why nothing is changing... I need to stop coding at 4am. :(
No, you just need an IDE that automatically uploads the files back to the webserver every time you change them :P Notepad++ does that, and most more powerful editors can do it as well.
Karai17
Party member

Post by Karai17 »

My web server is a network drive, so I simply drag/drop my files over to it. What happens is I do that, then get caught up doing something else and when I return to my pc I forget that I need to reopen all of the files from the network drive and I continue to edit the ones still on my desktop.

raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

I would prefer security over mousedraganddropability. Besides, I can simply use FileZilla, it let's me edit files on fly all right.

To me the frustrating thing about servers is how they won't ever give you satisfying amount of debugging information so you have to hack it into your script, and doing it is a guessing game, you never know what exactly causes failure, and you just hack the debug-trace messages into source more and more until you get to the problematic line.
Karai17
Party member

Post by Karai17 »

Well, my server is just a home server. Certain web APIs do not work via locally so you need to loop them through a web server. I often start projects on my desktop and move them somewhere better, later. Tossing some files in my apache folder because something won't work without going through a server, coupled with it being 4-6am often causes some steps to be missed, such as "open the new files". :P

vitaminx
Citizen

Post by vitaminx »

frustrating moment #1: the day ends and i have to go to sleep and have to wait until tomorrow to continue my game
frustrating moment #2: realizing that i don't work in game programming but something completely unrelated (but who knows, maybe when i would work as game programmer i'd like to have my old job back :P )