Most frustrating moment?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
veethree
Inner party member

Re: Most frustrating moment?

Post by veethree »

baconhawka7x wrote:Most frustrating moment was probably spending like two days to figure out how to use the filesystem for a terrible game.

Or just whenever I try to make a tile-based platformer and I need to prevent the player from overlapping with the tiles. Everytime it get's harder.
I know your pain, I just recently started seeing some success in the whole platformer collision thing.
Rhinoceros
Prole

Post by Rhinoceros »

veethree wrote:After literally an hour of troubleshooting, and trying just about everything, I realized i'd forgotten to rename a god damn variable. My palm and my forehead collided with such force i think i gave my self brain damage.
Are you sure that the brain damage occurred after you hit yourself in the face?

But yeah, this has happened to me a couple times. I just couldn't figure out why it would seem to ignore multiple lines of code, then I realised I was changing the wrong variable.

Self-esteem while programming seems to swing pretty wildly, from "AWW YEAH, look at Mr. Geniusbrain, coding stuff that works on the first try!" to "Holy hell am I stupid, it took an hour to figure out that I'm missing a comma/an equals sign/a set of brackets/the word "then"/some other really trivial error."
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

Rhinoceros wrote:Self-esteem while programming seems to swing pretty wildly, from "AWW YEAH, look at Mr. Geniusbrain, coding stuff that works on the first try!" to "Holy hell am I stupid, it took an hour to figure out that I'm missing a comma/an equals sign/a set of brackets/the word "then"/some other really trivial error."
So it's not just me that this happens to :D It balances itself out though, like if you get and error and after like 2 seconds figure out what's wrong with your program, that's a feel-good moment.

Anyway, I already gave my most frustrating moment, and haven't had another like it.

Also, I spent 2 days working on a filesystem too. I spent the first 5 hours of the first day just reading up on it on the wiki page, and the next day for almost 12 messing around with it, facepalming, etc. At this time, I had no idea what libraries were. The filesystem I used was actually for MBG. I remember when I got it working: Oh God I was so happy. I mean, picture you winning 50 million (currency here), and times that by 10. I felt so happy. Ah, the good 'ol days! :D
"In those quiet moments, you come into my mind" - Liam Reilly
CaptainMaelstrom
Party member

Post by CaptainMaelstrom »

I'll agree with most people in that, my most frustrating moments have been where I've overlooked something extremely simple: a require statement, a variable declaration, level of scope, namespace errors, functions not returning what I think they are, etc.

And probably the most frustrating/tedious aspect of my work with LOVE2D has been collision detection. No surprise there. I've made a simple geometry collision system for a platformer I'm working on, but in trying to make my next project easier, I've decided to implement line by line collision detection. So far so good. Knock on wood. ^^
mickeyjm
Party member

Post by mickeyjm »

I recently just had another facepalm inducing moment: I was trying to get a shader to blur the entire screen but for some reason I couldn't get the if statement to work. After literally starting again 5 times I realised I had been loading the wrong shader and was actually loading one where I got half way through an if statement then got bored and did something else...
Your screen is very zoomed in...
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

my most frustrating moment was when i tried to make bullets in the multiplayer part of my new game i got the bullets fully working after 3 days (not whole days).
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

Most frustrating thing ever to implement: multiplayer.
It's easy when you get the framework done. *cough*please check out my multiplayer framework!*cough*
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

Davidobot wrote:Most frustrating thing ever to implement: multiplayer.
It's easy when you get the framework done. *cough*please check out my multiplayer framework!*cough*
im so happy that you made the multiplayer scaffold.
XHH
Citizen

Post by XHH »

Developing my project on a Mac.
I like to draw and program :)
mickeyjm
Party member

Post by mickeyjm »

XHH wrote:Developing my project on a Mac.
Reminds me of a bug in my game which is frustrating, as it only appears on macs and therefore, as I don't own a mac, I have no means of debugging it... :x
If anyone knows what causes this: "box2d error: 0 <= index && index < m_count" I would love to know
Your screen is very zoomed in...