The epic love demo thread!

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Xfcn
Citizen

Re: The epic love demo thread!

Post by Xfcn »

surtic wrote:Maybe I'll try to write a Qix-clone...
Do this and I'll love you forever.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
Tenoch
Citizen

Post by Tenoch »

Hi!

A little bit more than a demo, since it's supposed to be a (small) full game. It's my participation to the last Ludume Dare game programming competition. It's a competition like many others on the internet (a very cool one, though), in solo, which lasts 48 hours exactly.

Here is my entry (the theme was "The Tower"): http://noe.falzon.free.fr/static/owliver-postLD.love

and the general website for Ludum Dare: http://www.ludumdare.com/

Have fun!
"When in doubt, use brute force." Ken Thompson
Xfcn
Citizen

Post by Xfcn »

Tenoch wrote:Hi!

A little bit more than a demo, since it's supposed to be a (small) full game. It's my participation to the last Ludume Dare game programming competition. It's a competition like many others on the internet (a very cool one, though), in solo, which lasts 48 hours exactly.

Here is my entry (the theme was "The Tower"): http://noe.falzon.free.fr/static/owliver-postLD.love

and the general website for Ludum Dare: http://www.ludumdare.com/

Have fun!
Great little game. I like how if you don't get to things fast enough it starts having more problems crop up. Good stuff. The only criticisms I really have is that it'd be nice if it was a little more obvious how to quit (I expected a key press but wound up having to click the "x", and it'd be nice if there was a way to turn off the music, which gets repetitive after awhile. For something done within a 48 hour time constraint this is quite good. Polish it up a little bit and I think it'd be a fine candidate for the demo pack. I have no say in this in any way, shape or form but it has my vote. :)
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
Jake
Prole

Post by Jake »

Here's a sneak preview of my current game :D

mike
Administrator

Post by mike »

Oh, you sneaky bastard. Now I want to know what it is!! Demo coming soon?
Now posting IN STEREO (where available)
surtic
Citizen

Post by surtic »

Anyone interested in Conway's Game of Life?

Didn't spend too much time on this one... I'm thinking of adding some "well-known" patterns (in addition to the random pattern), but maybe the effort/interest ratio is just too high for me in this case.
Attachments
conway.love
(1.45 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
mike
Administrator

Post by mike »

I like. When things start turning blue, does that mean that they are dead or what? I've heard of LIFE but never implemented it myself...
surtic
Citizen

Post by surtic »

The colour is an indication of the age of the cell. It starts red and turns blue with time. It doesn't mean that it's dead, only stable (dead cells simply disappear - when you restart you can see a huge population that dies very quickly from over-population).

To be honest, I only wrote it to check how pixel-accurate the rectangles are. I'm not very good with bitmaps (lacking the artistic flair), and I want to see how far I can push lines and rectangles (and text). I'll play a bit more with cellular automata, just because it's fun (tiny amount of code producing nice effects), but I hope to "graduate" to a real game pretty soon.
mike
Administrator

Post by mike »

"Real" games are over-rated and can be accomplished with minimal amount of code. Case and point:

A new version of NO! I'm beta-ing it here before it's added to the official demo pack (replacing the old one). This one SHOULD be open to suggestion in the cases where more than one answer is possible. Let me know what you think.
Attachments
no (v2).love
Now with a new engine and identical visuals.
(265.14 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
surtic
Citizen

Post by surtic »

I like the game, but the ending is a bit abrupt (you click the last square and the game ends immediately).
How about a gentle fade in/out? It's just a bit shocking, that's all...

Other than that it's really nice.