LovelyBigPlanet

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
bartbes
Sex machine

Re: LovelyBigPlanet

Post by bartbes »

It wasn't a joke!
beatthelastboss
Citizen

Post by beatthelastboss »

I can make a mean chiptune when I want to, would you like me to "Chip in"? (HAHAHAHAHAHA) :rofl:
IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LUA CODES IN YOU!!
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

If you're serious this is great! We're going to need some sound if this is going to be playable.
rhezalouis
Party member

[Edit]Check check..

Post by rhezalouis »

I wonder if I edited my old post would it bump the thread..

Good moderators, please let me delete my old useless post to keep my citizenship (still insisting to avoid the party..). Haha. So, I couldn't delete my old posts if they are superseded by another posts, ya? Ugh, so bad.. .
Last edited by rhezalouis on Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aargh, I am wasting my posts! My citizenshiiiip... :o
rhezalouis
Party member

[RLC]hi!

Post by rhezalouis »

Hi everyone! It's been a while, How are you?

Bartbes, do you need any graphic resources for this project? I didn't see any changes in the request folder. :)
Aargh, I am wasting my posts! My citizenshiiiip... :o
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Looking forward to a 0.6.1 version. This is a pretty impressive project.

Question, I guess I could look at the code, and I am, but I was wondering how you came up with the wonderful animated menus? I love how the stuff slides smoothly all over the place and fades and stuff. It's exactly what I envisioned for my menus but couldn't get it to work right.

I really like how they animate.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Jasoco wrote:Question, I guess I could look at the code, and I am, but I was wondering how you came up with the wonderful animated menus? I love how the stuff slides smoothly all over the place and fades and stuff. It's exactly what I envisioned for my menus but couldn't get it to work right.

I really like how they animate.
Thanks! :nyu: I was reading your post and thought "Hey, yeah, I would like to know that as well, I like beautiful menus--wait, what project is this?" Then it occurred to me this is LBP, which means I have written that menu. :ehem:

Now, I'm not sure what you want to know about it exactly, but most of the smoothness comes from the fact that the menu items (and the menu selection) are not moved directly, but move towards a destination point with a speed depending on their distance to the destination, using the formula:

Code: Select all

y = y + (dest_y-y)*dt*4
which, as far as I can remember, means everything moves to their target in 1/4 of a second.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

I think a nice simplified menu system can do wonders for games. If it looks nice and isn't complicated.

One of my favorites in recent memory is Shadow Complex which is simple white text with a view of the complex in the background.

Braid has a nice method in which when you first start the game, you go right into the game itself bypassing any menu. The menu is still available if you need it, but it doesn't make you waste time.

Sometimes the menu can be part of the art. And sometimes part of the game. Take the game Spelunky...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5IRc9uPANo
Notice how the menu itself is a level. You move your character to a door to play a saved game, climb the rope to quit, jump up to hidden areas to get secret unlockables. It's very clever, and if I can find a way to work that method into my final game, I will. I like it.
TahGamer
Prole

Post by TahGamer »

I can do some artwork :rofl:
Metaknigth
Prole

Post by Metaknigth »

I'd like to help with Beta testing, ... maybe ideas ?
Keep in mind though I haven't played little big planet at all(I do know about it but my knowledge so for is videos and my imagination)... I don't have any console but I hope I can still help :3
Also on a side note... is this dead ? because I found it on the 3rd page :(

Oh and hi :nyu: