love 0.9.0 + luajit - no console output?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
bizziboi
Citizen

love 0.9.0 + luajit - no console output?

Post by bizziboi »

Just wanted to see if anyone else has seen this, or can cofirm it to work for them.

I just compiled 0.9.0 from source and made my project work with it, but when I dropped in luajit.dll for lua51.dll I lost output to console (as in, the console window stays empty, even with just a print in the love.update)

Has anyone else tried it? Just want to see if I should try grabbing other versions of luajit.dll, as I use console output as well as ffi so hope to get this to work.

Cheers,
Kaj
Boolsheet
Inner party member

Re: love 0.9.0 + luajit - no console output?

Post by Boolsheet »

Did you build LuaJIT also yourself? Make sure everything is using the dynamic runtime library (the /MD switch with MSVC or explicitly link with msvcrt.lib and msvcprt.lib).
Shallow indentations.
bizziboi
Citizen

Post by bizziboi »

No, I did not build luajit myself. Not sure where I grabbed it from - I believe your distribution?
It works fine with 0.8.0, which puzzles me.
bizziboi
Citizen

Post by bizziboi »

Yep, just to make sure I just grabbed your prebuilt version, and as soon as I swap out the dll with your luajit dll I get no console output. Everything else works so it's puzzling :o\

Tried both 32 bit and 64 bit dll (am on 64 bit windows) but made no difference. Everything runs but no console output.
Boolsheet
Inner party member

Post by Boolsheet »

Oh, is it a runtime library version mismatch?

Did you build LÖVE with megasource, the Visual Studio project in the repository or your own solution? What compiler and compiler version is it?
Shallow indentations.
bizziboi
Citizen

Post by bizziboi »

Hmmm, could be runtime version mismatch I guess.

I compiled megasource with VS2012 (seem to recall that's what the readme said), I could try 2010.

I never tried building luajit from VS, guess I could see if that's doable (I so suck at makefiles, heck at projects setup in general).

I really appreciate your help (o:
Boolsheet
Inner party member

Post by Boolsheet »

megasource does work with 2010, but it's not supported since more C++11 could come in at any time.

Building LuaJIT is very easy. Check out src/msvcbuild.bat in the LuaJIT source. You may want to add /MD to the compiler options though too make sure you don't have the same issue again.
Shallow indentations.
bizziboi
Citizen

Post by bizziboi »

I'll give it a shot.

I just compiled everything in VS2010 and copied in the luajit from your distribution and still have no output, and again, I do with the lua51.dll that the solution builds.

Do you build with VS2010?

Do you have console output when you build from megasource, but with luajit (if you ever tried)?

Kaj
bizziboi
Citizen

Post by bizziboi »

I just compiled luajit from source (indeed, easy as pie) with 2010 as well, but still no dice.
Next I'll try everything with 2012 (but will be tomorrow). I am stumped - printf's from liblove work if I add them, so it's just luajit not reaching the console - and that would be the part I'm least joyful about if I have to debug it, but at least I've been succesful getting a breakpoint in there, so I may have a shot at it.
bizziboi
Citizen

Post by bizziboi »

Forgot to mention - luajit seems to already build with /MD. As said, the same DLL works with console output with your distro of 0.8.0, so it has to be built correctly, right?