Musical: automatic music generation

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
kikito
Inner party member

Re: Musical: automatic music generation

Post by kikito »

Well, Robin, you definitively want to add that dampening field to your instruments.

And polarize the hull plating and realign the chronodynamic power module. (Sorry, I could not help it. This is how much of what you guys are saying sounds to me. :rofl:)
When I write def I mean function.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

kikito wrote:Well, Robin, you definitively want to add that dampening field to your instruments.
Yes, indeed. Thanks, Jamie! I don't know whether that exact one, because it seems the dampening effect changes for different length notes.
Jamie wrote:And I think it's not so good for video game music because when played over and over, after about 10-15 minutes you want to kill yourself.
Yeah, that's not good. Procedural music should really be able to prevent boredom, shouldn't it? ;)

Oh, and this is the thesis that (subconsciously, I'd forgotten about it at the time of writing Musical) inspired me: http://www.ru.nl/publish/pages/641151/s ... is2012.pdf It is way more complicated and interesting than what I have been doing (and more than Jamie as well, I'd say).
Last edited by Robin on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
xerysherry
Prole

Post by xerysherry »

It is very interesting ! Good Idea !
BozoDel
Party member

Post by BozoDel »

I had bookmarked this for later, and only recently rediscovered it. Jamie's generator is awesome! And I think I can make some very nice things with it :joker:

One question tho. When I had like ten tabs open, sound got kinda trashy. Now I'm not sure if it's the CPU or RAM... but it makes me doubt the usability of this in an actual game. Maybe if I reduce the sampling rate? Or the bits per sample?

Edit: I reproduced the trashy sound, and it has nothing to do with CPU or RAM. It's more common when playing more than one sound at once, but other than that, it's pretty random, so I don't know. Reducing the sampling rate to 22050 fixed it somehow (reducing the bits per sample to 8 makes it suck).
ArchAngel075
Party member

Post by ArchAngel075 »

I got an error,
-
main.lua 4
Could not open file composer. Does not exist.
-
Using windows 7 - x64 - Love 0.9.0

Tried extracting and using but same issue.
BozoDel
Party member

Post by BozoDel »

That's because these music generators were made for 0.8.0 and haven't been updated to 0.9.0. You can try running them with 0.8.0, or see if you can change the code to be compatible with 0.9.0. It wasn't hard to get the core elements of Jamie's mgen working with it.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

That's right! I coincidentally updated my original thingy to 0.9.0, as it happens:
Attachments
musical.love
(1.82 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Lua Hal
Citizen

Post by Lua Hal »

I don't know if live coding has been mentioned, but this concept made me think of this. He seems to use random numbers often in his works, but I think he procedurally deletes and adds code blocks so you'd have to table or formulate musical song structures, and then variation becomes a problem. Food for thought.