LÖVE 0.9.1 released

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Fenrir
Party member

Re: LÖVE 0.9.1 released

Post by Fenrir »

Thanks for this release, I'm intensively using Canvas in my game and this change:
Updated Canvas drawing code, texture coordinates are no longer flipped vertically.
It mades me remove a lot of workarounds I was using to map everything as expected. :)

Another good news is that I'm having a big performances jump with this version, don't know if it's coming from Canvas optimizations or Meshes (I'm also using them a lot), anyway, thanks again!

So what's the plan for the future now? Going on 0.10.0, or 1.0.0 ? Officialy integrating iOS and Android ports ?

Cheers,
Rucikir
Party member

Post by Rucikir »

Hi,
I do not really know how you usually do, but the packages on Ubuntu's PPA are broken, and out-of date on the officials repo.
I'm expecting someone to say "It's normal, it has always been", but it would be nice to fix this, nuh ?
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

How are they broken?
Rucikir
Party member

Post by Rucikir »

I think I found it... liblove requires libmng1, and libmng1 is not present on Ubuntu Trusty repos (I'm running the beta).
On Trusty you only have http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/libmng2, and not libmng1, but on Saucy you only have libmng1.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Ah, I couldn't test on trusty sadly, I'll see about getting this fixed.. but that might take a while. From what I've found on the internet all that's really changed is the name of the binary, so it's kind of annoying this breaks.. That said, if you force install liblove (and get the other dependencies) and you add a symlink from /usr/lib/libmng.so.2 to /usr/lib/libmng.so.1 it probably should work. It's hacky at best, though.

EDIT: Slime pointed out libmng is a dependency of devil, not of love itself, so I'll have a look at removing it as a dependency altogether. This also means that the symlink probably isn't necessary..
R-BG
Prole

Post by R-BG »

Looks like the file description is still "0.9.0". At least for the win64-version.
Attachments
love_descr.png
love_descr.png (6.8 KiB) Viewed 13671 times
minism
Prole

Post by minism »

Nice work guys, LOVE is becoming amazingly good!
Kadaj
Prole

Post by Kadaj »

Nice release but I have one problem with the latest version. When I launch my game the frame rate is oddly low sometimes. When printing dt it shows that every other frame is about twice as long as the previous one. Without capping the fps it is normally over 200 or something but in this version it stays at about 65 and when capped at 60fps ( with timer.sleep ) the game runs about 44fps. As I said this does not happen every time when I launch the game only sometimes ( more than I like ). This problem has not happened before version 0.9.1. Any ideas where could the problem be? It could be that my code sucks but this has not happened before ( and I have been developing this game about two years from 0.8.0 -> 0.9.1 ) so It has to be somewhere in the core of the Love.

Edit: tested with two different PCs ( both has Windows 8.1 )
Last edited by Kadaj on Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

Same here, the framerate is strange right now.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

love.timer.sleep can't be used to completely accurately cap FPS, the sleep duration is not reliable enough for that (and the reliability varies depending on the OS and system.)

Nothing in LÖVE itself changed that would cause framerate issues like that. It might be your code or a video driver problem.