LD #29: Bad Guy's Terrarium

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
kikito
Inner party member

LD #29: Bad Guy's Terrarium

Post by kikito »

I tried to make Ludum Dare again, and failed again.

But I didn't fail as much as before!

At least this time I had something ... interactive (I wouldn't dare calling it "playable")

INSTRUCTIONS:

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-da ... w&uid=4031

POST-MORTEM:

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/2014/04/ ... ostmortem/

SOURCE CODE:

https://github.com/kikito/ld-29
bad-guys-terrarium.love
(52.59 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
Attachments
bad-guys-terrarium.love
(52.59 KiB) Downloaded 177 times
Last edited by kikito on Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
When I write def I mean function.
veethree
Inner party member

Re: LD #29: Bad Guy's Terrarium

Post by veethree »

I wouldn't even call this interactive, As soon as i run it it closes itself...
zwzsg
Prole

Post by zwzsg »

At first it complained about module middleclass not found. Then I unzipped and saw there was a middleclass.lua in /lib/. So I copied all the contents of all subfolders into the root and rezipped in a love, and this time it worked. But I doubt any tester from the Ludum Dare will bother with that. So try to make sure the Löve you release work as-is, and please release a working exe: It's easy, just type in a DOS prompt something like copy /b love.exe+"YourGame.love" "YourGame.exe"

Anyway, I clicked dirt cells next to already dug cells, it dug some cavern. I released some slugs, rats and demons, they moved around in the open cells. But am not sure what to do from there.

Your mousewheel zoom is inverted compared to, let's say, Google Maps.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

Hi,
veethree wrote:I wouldn't even call this interactive, As soon as i run it it closes itself...
Thanks, I have fixed it.
zwzsg wrote:So try to make sure the Löve you release work as-is
Thanks for the error report. In my defense, I did try it before uploading. It worked on my machine because I had middleclass installed as a Lua module :vamp:

I have fixed the middleclass dependency and it should work now.
zwzsg wrote:please release a working exe
I will do so after work today. I finished at 2:30 and needed some sleep.
Your mousewheel zoom is inverted compared to, let's say, Google Maps.
I've been using a mac for a while. On macs, the zoom is inverted compared to windows. That's what's natural for me now.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

Small update: there's now a win32, win64 and OS/X version of the game in the LD page:

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-da ... w&uid=4031

Thanks to Rucikir for his love-release.sh tool.
NightKawata
Party member

Post by NightKawata »

I really don't even know how to play this, honestly. It took me about 10 minutes to realize you couldn't dig anywhere, moreover adjacent to an already dug tile (which I didn't realize at the time was black), then I don't even know what goes on after that.

What do the slugs do? Do Mushrooms spawn randomly? The world may never know.

Things die randomly as well, not when they run out of food.
Plus... Negative food? Interesting...Yeah, that's the word.

A post-compo version of this would be cool. I'd definitely recommend expanding upon this, as it does feel noticably incomplete.
"I view Python for game usage about the same as going fishing with a stick of dynamite. It will do the job but it's big, noisy, you'll probably get soaking wet and you've still got to get the damn fish out of the water." -taylor
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

Hey, thanks for trying!
NightKawata wrote:It took me about 10 minutes to realize you couldn't dig anywhere, moreover adjacent to an already dug tile (which I didn't realize at the time was black), then I don't even know what goes on after that.
Sorry about that. I didn't have time to make it more obvious. It says so in the instructions. Maybe I should have repeated it instead of mentioning it only on the controls section.
NightKawata wrote:What do the slugs do? Do Mushrooms spawn randomly? The world may never know.
It is also described in the instructions: slugs get created from tiles with more than 1 food and less than 10. They move in straight lines until they collide with a tile. If the tile they collide with has at least 1 food, they transfer the food they have to it. Then they choose a random direction and move again in a straight line. When they get hungry, if they pass near a cell with food, they "absorb" some of the food from the cell, regenerating hp. Otherwise their hp goes to 0 and they die. They generate a mushroom if they had food when they died. Mushrooms increase the food of the solid cells around them until they die. If they have food left when they die, they spawn two slugs.

So the whole point of the slugs and the mushrooms is moving food around, and creating more food (which you can't do directly). You need to move food around to create more advanced units. Since slugs more in straight lines, and a mushroom that dies in an "open space" is wasted, you want to make narrow passages instead of big empty rooms - but this gets more difficult with time, as you are removing more and more cells. Also, unfortunately, I did not have time to implement much behaviour on the more advanced units, so it's more like a toy than a game :/
NightKawata wrote: Things die randomly as well, not when they run out of food. Plus... Negative food? Interesting...Yeah, that's the word.
If you have seen that happening, that's a bug. I didn't see negative food. But thanks.
NightKawata wrote:A post-compo version of this would be cool. I'd definitely recommend expanding upon this, as it does feel noticcably incomplete.
I agree, it's an incomplete thing. My consolation is that it's more complete than the last LD I tried. I am a slow programmer, I don't do fast very well. Several people have requested a post-compo version, so I might give it a try.